"Defiant" Review

"Defiant"
by Kris Kennedy

Publisher: Pocket
Release Date: April 26, 2011

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:


A rogue knight and an enchanting renegade join forces to right old wrongs in award-winning author Kris Kennedy’s sizzling new medieval romance. A warrior with questionable intentions . . .
Jamie Lost is the king’s most renowned commander, a fearless lieutenant ordered to kidnap an exiled priest before rebel forces close in. The mission is simple—until he meets a mysterious thief who will steal his quarry and then his heart.
A lady of remarkable courage . . .
Beautiful Eva is also seeking Father Peter, but she intends to protect him from a secret that could cost him his life. She senses that she, too, should fear Jamie—not just for his wickedly sharp sword and dangerously muscular body, but for the powerful longing he ignites within her.
A secret that could overthrow the king.
When a band of mercenaries abducts the priest, Jamie and Eva must form a volatile alliance. As civil war unfolds around them, they embark on an epic journey that betrays the truth about their hidden identities, their unexpected loyalties, and the simmering attraction that could seal their fates forever.


My Review:

This was one of those historicals that's best read by those who want a lot of intrigue, mystery, and action, with a little romance on the side. For me, I wanted to see more development of the relationship between the two leads instead of so much action and intrigue.

Jamie was a bit rough and gruff for my liking. Alpha male fans are sure to love him as a hero. His treatment of Eva was a bit rough for me at times. His kidnapping and overpowering of Eva grew tiresome after awhile.

The mystery was all a bit confusing for me for most of the book. Part of this could be because of the language of the book.It was told in an overly proper way that I suppose is associated with medieval language. While it's very funny to see a sarcastic, comedic line delivered in such hoity-toity speech patterns, it's difficult to read an entire book written in such a different way. I can see literary fiction being successful with this type of language, but I think most people picking up a historical romance are looking for more of a relaxing read.

Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5 

Setting: 4/5
Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: If you're into adventure and mystery with an alpha male hero and smattering of hot romance, this is the book for you!

6 comments

  1. You would think that with such a huge sword and buffness that there would of be a wee bit more romance. Pity.

    Next time my dear!

    Zombies are for May!  Morbid Romantica Challenge links are up for Zombies along with a few book ideas.  Some I myself will be trying out! Stop by and let me know which Zombie book I should be reading!

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    For The L♥ve of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww :/ I'm more the type who likes to have the romance front and center with everything else on the side. So I guess this one isn't really for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love rough and gruff...though it depends, sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love historical fiction, but I can't stand Alpha males.Not the book for me!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that it got a bit confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like alpha males, but I sometimes have a difficult time with historical fiction. Depending on how far back I suppose. Great review.

    I also checked out your Vintage blog - nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!