Today, I'm happy to welcome Kat Cantrell to In the Hammock to celebrate the release of her book, "From Fake to Forever"! Kat will share with us a delicious recipe to enjoy while reading her book, and tips for aspiring writers! Don't miss the giveaway of one copy of "From Fake to Forever" at the bottom of this post!
FROM FAKE TO FOREVER
By Kat Cantrell
Harlequin Desire; April 7, 2015
$5.25 US; 192 pages
After one night of tequila and sex, their impromptu Vegas wedding shouldn't be valid. But Meredith just discovered she's still tied to businessman Jason Lynhurst. She needs out of their marriage, but if he's to become his company's new CEO, he needs her as a bride. Meredith can have her divorce, but only after he gets what he wants—which is more than merely a promotion. Let the newlywed games begin.
Bon Appetit and a Book
"From Fake to Forever"
by Kat Cantrell
Bon Appétit and a Book: A delicious recipe to enjoy alongside the book
Hummus and Pita Chips
This is my recipe for hummus, which I love to make fresh because store-bought generally has a high sodium content, as well as preservatives and other yucky stuff. This is easy to make and doesn't call for tahini which can be expensive.
Ingredients (4 servings)
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 drops sesame oil, or to taste (optional)
Blend garbanzo beans, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and sesame oil in a food processor; stream reserved bean liquid into the mixture as it blends until desired consistency is achieved. Spoon into a serving bowl. You can let the flavors blend several hours or overnight before serving this.
To make fresh pita chips:
Cut two-three pitas into wedges (like a pizza)
Arrange on a pan and brush with olive oil
Grind or sprinkle salt and pepper to taste
Cook for 15 minutes at 375.
This is such an easy snack. I love to make it with my two boys and there are things even the little one can do. He likes to use the basting brush to "paint" the chips with oil. My older son likes to use the food processor--probably because I don't make him clean it!
Thanks for the recipe, Kat!! Sounds delicious!!
How-To-Tips for Aspiring Writers: Advice on how to break into the series-writing business from Kat Cantrell
If you love romance novels and have always dreamed of writing one, you’re in good company. You’d be hard-pressed to find a romance writer working today who didn’t start out as a reader first. Guess what? If you’re a reader, you’ve already completed the all-important first step toward the goal of becoming an author! Reading is critical to understanding a bunch of important things like voice, structure, plot and character. Now you should target your reading to the specific type of story you want to write. If you’d like to write for Harlequin Desire, read as many as you can get your hands on. Study them and learn from them. Each line has a particular “feel” to it and always includes certain elements. Harlequin posts writing guidelines on its website so you don’t have to guess, but it’s always better to see it in action, so to speak.
Then the next steps are:
- Sit down and write.
- No, really. Set a goal and write.
- Not sure what goal to set? Start out with 500 words a day. Then write 500 tomorrow. And the next day. I work on my books every day. Yes. EVERY day, even Christmas.
- Read some craft books. I like Goal, Motivation and Conflict by Debra Dixon. But there are many, many great ones. If you already know you have a particular weakness, like you have no idea what I meant above by “voice”, find a book on that.
- If you don’t know your weaknesses, join a writer’s group. Romance Writers of America is one a lot of us belong to. Harlequin.com has a community forum with a particular area for writers. Talk to other writers. Find people to read your writing who can help you get better. I still have a friend read my stuff even though I’ve written fifteen books (Hi, Jen!).
- Be prepared to work hard and be realistic. Most authors will tell you it takes two years and at least two manuscripts to sell to a publisher like Harlequin. It took me two years and five manuscripts. Your mileage may vary.
- Go back to #1 and do that. You’d be surprised how many people get bogged down in craft books and writer’s forums and forget to actually, you know, write the book. You can’t sell a manuscript to any publisher if it doesn’t exist.
Buy the book here: http://www.harlequin.com/storeitem.html?iid=58842
KAT CANTRELL read her first Harlequin novel in third grade and has been scribbling in notebooks since she learned to spell. What else would she write but romance? She majored in Literature, officially with the intent to teach, but somehow ended up buried in middle management at Corporate America, Inc. After three years and many thousands of words, her dream of publication finally came true. When she's not writing about characters on the journey to happily-ever-after, she can be found at a soccer game, watching Friends or dancing with her kids to Duran Duran and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Check out the other two featured Harlequin Series Romance books this month!
"The Billionaire's Bridal Bargain"
by Lynne Graham
(synopsis from publicist)
To get his hands on her Mediterranean island inheritance, Cesare Sabatino must wed innocent Lizzie and ensure she's carrying his heir! Luckily the formidable Italian is legendary for his powers of persuasion. With Lizzie desperate to save her family's farm, it's only a matter of time before she gives in and discovers the many pleasurable benefits of wearing this tycoon's ring.
Buy here: http://www.harlequin.com/storeitem.html?iid=58800
"The Italian's Deal for I Do"
by Jennifer Hayward
(synopsis from publicist)
He's conquered global markets and immeasurable hearts, but to regain control of the fashion empire that's rightfully his, Rocco Mondelli must prove his playboy days are over. His secret weapon? Supermodel-in-hiding Olivia Fitzgerald and the power to ruin her if she refuses to play his loving fiancée!
GIVEAWAY RULES: The publicist has generously provided a paperback copy of "From Fake to Forever" for a lucky reader of my blog!a Rafflecopter giveaway
All you have to do is fill out the Rafflecopter form below.
- US only
- Books will be mailed out by the publicist
- Must be 18 or over
- Ends April 21Thanks to everyone for entering! Good luck!
Disclosure: I received copies of the books from the publicist in exchange for this post.