Waiting on Wednesday 265



Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine, and it is a way to show off the books you can't wait to be released!!

This week I chose: 

"The Hired Girl"
by Laura Amy Schlitz
Candlewick
Release Date:  Sep. 9, 2015


Newbery Medalist Laura Amy Schlitz brings her delicious wit and keen eye to early twentieth-century America in a moving yet comedic tour de force.

Fourteen-year-old Joan Skraggs, just like the heroines in her beloved novels, yearns for real life and true love. But what hope is there for adventure, beauty, or art on a hardscrabble farm in Pennsylvania where the work never ends? Over the summer of 1911, Joan pours her heart out into her diary as she seeks a new, better life for herself—because maybe, just maybe, a hired girl cleaning and cooking for six dollars a week can become what a farm girl could only dream of—a woman with a future. Newbery Medalist Laura Amy Schlitz relates Joan’s journey from the muck of the chicken coop to the comforts of a society household in Baltimore (Electricity! Carpet sweepers! Sending out the laundry!), taking readers on an exploration of feminism and housework; religion and literature; love and loyalty; cats, hats, and bunions.
Is anyone else feeling a Downton Abbey vibe here? I think it's so interesting to see history from the point of view of the working class.

What are you waiting for this week???

10 comments

  1. I've never heard of this one but it seems super interesting!
    {Thanks for commenting}
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! Totally new to me but I love the cover! LOL! Person reading a book wins every time!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! I saw this one a while ago. It definitely sounds interesting.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting, and I love the cover. Great pick!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Pick! sounds interesting! Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Sandra @ Sandrathebookworm

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is new to me and I agree that it sounds really good and perfect for fans of Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this one and the fact that it takes place in PA. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, YA historical fiction, I love the genre!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is new to me, but it sounds really good. I hope you enjoy reading it.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!