"Masquerade" Review


"Masquerade"
by Nancy Moser

Publisher: Bethany House
Release Date: Aug 1, 2010

Source: sent by publisher


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Lottie Gleason's parents arranged for her to marry a very rich American to save her from scandal in England. Even though she doesn't have any desire to wed a stranger, she and her maid, Dora, set off on the long journey to America. Instead of traveling as Lottie's maid Dora wears Lottie's dresses and pretends to be a lady. The charade works so well, Lottie comes up with a plan-have Dora marry the rich American heir in her place while Lottie finds her own adventures. Will the girls be able to pull of the masquerade?

This book was very refreshing in how different it was. The alternating viewpoints of Lottie and Dora/Charlotte made for a fast-paced story with lots of secondary characters.

My favorite part of the book was when the girls were on the ship to America. I couldn't help but think of Titanic without the iceberg. Seeing Dora blossom and understanding Lottie's jealousy was intriguing. I felt like the author was telling us that it's not the fancy clothes but the woman inside that counts.

Lottie was spoiled, but it was nice to see her growth throughout the book. Dora made some bad decisions, but both girls learned from their mistakes.

At times, the resolutions to their problems were a bit too perfect and well-timed, but it was all for the sake of the story and the message was positive. I enjoyed the bits of romance and at times really didn't know what would happen to the girls or where they would end up.


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 5/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: This was a unique story that looks at two very different social classes, set in a fascinating era of American history.

8 comments

  1. Looks like a good book. I love a good historical romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this. It sounds very interesting.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to read HR sometimes.It looks good ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds good. I hadn't heard of it before now, but I'd like to check it out!

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one does make me think how it ended. I mean the rich people should see through the charade, and the spoiled girl, could she really give it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy an almost to perfect book. I love love love this cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, this does seem unique in the story telling. I'm definitely intrigued by wanting to find out how the characters develop and come together. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!