"The Quiet Gentleman" Review

"The Quiet Gentleman"
by Georgette Heyer

Publisher: Sourcebooks
Release Date: June 1, 2011 
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com: 


Unscathed from the wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he must establish himself as the new head of the house… and ignore his family's rising hostility.
Then Gervase's eye is caught by a lovely young woman—the same woman already much in favor with his half brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new Earl of Stanyon dead….

My Review:

This was the first book I've read by Heyer and it might not have been the best one to begin with because I don't think it's one of her more romantic books. I went in thinking that it would be a regency romance, but there was more emphasis on the brothers' quarrelling and the mystery.

I did enjoy the mannerly dialogue and writing. It was quick, witty, and Austen-esque. I can see how Heyer has such a large following.

I actually liked Gervase, the quiet gentleman, a lot. I found myself saying "Poor Gervase" quite a lot because so many people were out to get him! He was a sweet guy and there were always people yelling at him.


Main Characters: 4/5 (Gervase)
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: I loved the author's writing style and I can't wait to read a more romantic book from her long list of titles.

4 comments

  1. I have one of her books on my kindle but haven't read it yet. Just wanted to try one out, since she is very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Friday's Child
    :D I loved it, it was funny and it has romance in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye it was more mystery than romance so you did not really get the cuteness of it all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a Regency romance every once in awhile, so this won't be one I'm picking up. I like the historical ones, with a little less history and a little more romance! Those are for pure escape when I read them!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!