"The Bridegroom Wore Plaid" Review

"The Bridegroom Wore Plaid" 
by Grace Burrowes
 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: Dec 1, 2012
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars

Summary from goodreads.com:
In an effort to preserve the family estate, Ian MacGregor, the Earl of Balfour, must marry for money. When a promising match emerges in the form of Genie Daniels, a rich English heiress, Ian begins devising a strategy to woo her. When he meets Genie's poor cousin Augusta, he discovers a new avenue to Genie's heart. But after spending time with Augusta and falling for her charms, Ian begins to question whether or not he's willing to forfeit his heart to save the family name...

My Review:

This author's Windhams series is one of my favorite historical romance series, and this is the first book in a new series, so I wasn't quite sure I would love it. I was afraid that I would miss my favorite characters. While I may not have loved the characters as much as I loved the Windhams, I really enjoyed this book as well. It proves just what a great author Burrowes is.

I didn't realize this was part of a series while I was reading it, because there is not only one romance in this book, but four! Of course, Ian and Augusta's story is the most prominent, but we do get a taste of Ian's brothers and sister's romances too! There is a lot of matchmaking and falling in love happening at this house party! It really is so much fun to read about, with all of the interwoven stories, and love turning up in unexpected places.

I wanted to read more about Connor's romance, he was quite interesting as the brooding younger brother of the MacGregor clan. Ian's brother, Gil, was another sweet guy that I would have loved to have known more about. Still, the book was well-balanced with Ian as the leading man, and his brothers playing supporting roles. Sometimes, it's just frustrating when it seems like the more dynamic characters are in the background.

Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5


Bottom Line: A wonderful, fun read, with a few romances woven together, which makes for a lot of family drama!


2 comments

  1. I love the Windham series too and was surprised at how much I enjoyed this first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, I would have liked to have those supporting characters have books of their own and be more toned down here

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!