"Why? Because We Still Like You" Review


"Why? Because We Still Like You: An Oral History of the Mickey Mouse Club"
by Jennifer Armstrong

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Release Date: Oct 29, 2010

Source: sent by publisher


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:

This book will tell the behind-the-scenes story of how The Mickey Mouse Club paved the way for all that came after, from its humble beginnings as a marketing ploy, through its short but mesmerizing run, to the numerous resurrections that made it one of television's first true cult hits--all through the recollections of those regular kids-turned-stars who made it a phenomenon. It will reveal, for the first time ever, the untold stories of Annette, Darlene, Cubby and Karen, Bobbie and the rest of the beloved cast. It will explore, through the reminiscences of former fans who grew up to be some of television's finest minds, what made the show so special. And it will examine why the formula the creators of the show invented is more relevant than ever, and whether we'll ever see yet another Club for a new generation.

My review:

Today's kids watch reruns of shows that I used to watch when I was kid, like "Full House" and "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." When I was a kid, I watched what my parents loved when they were little: "The Mickey Mouse Club."

This book was one of the most fun books I've read for a long time. It didn't seem overly gossip-y and I loved that the author actually interviewed most of the "Mice" herself. There were a few who were unable to comment, including the most popular Mouse herself, Annette. Armstrong used credible sources, like Annette's autobiography for her information about the missing Mouseketeers.

It was so fun to see all of the behind the scenes information. One moment that stands out is some of the girls giggling over seeing Guy Williams, aka Zorro, in the commissary eating lunch. These day to day tidbits were something I had never heard about before in all of my Mickey Mouse Club fan moments. While I was reading, I really felt like I was at Soundstage 1 on the Disney backlot, like I was one of the Mice too.

The book is separated into chapters detailing auditions for the Mickey Mouse Club, the early days of the show, the phenomenon years, "Spin and Marty", and the aftermath.

I'd recommend this book for a true fan of the show. There's no mean-spirited gossip here that would ruin anyone's feelings towards the show, but there is some great insider information straight from the sources. I don't think this book would take away any of the "Magic" of the show, or ruin any idealized notions a huge fan would have. It's all done respectfully.

Bottom Line: True Mickey Mouse Club fans will not be disappointed in this book. Just like the original Mouseketeers, the book has a heart of gold with nothing but fond memories for the show. Now, please excuse me while I try to track down the out of print "Spin and Marty" dvd set on eBay!

9 comments

  1. Sounds interesting!! :)since we don't really have A Mickey Mouse club proper in my country, I didn't know there was so much history behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the back of my mind I am sure I have seen some eps..I think I liked it, but I just do not know

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to love old shows when I was a kid. I use to watch Petticoat Junction, Mr. Ed, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Munsters, The Addams Family, I Dream of Jeannie, and Bewitched. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so cute, Carrie! I never saw the Mickey Mouse Club (I'm not sure if I was in the US at the time?), but I know some of the big names were from there. This sounds fun...great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Carrie! I like how you review all kinds of books. I enjoyed the Mickey Mouse Club, too. I love to watch reruns of Bewitched and I Love Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loathe gossip as well, Carrie, but for a more honest, real look at the original MMC, and more humor + irony, you should read CONFESSIONS OF AN ACCIDENTAL MOUSEKETEER (2009-10) by Mouseketeer Lonnie, 1 of the 4 boys of 39 kids who lasted the entire filming of the show. Mouseketeer Descartes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, Lonnie! I will have to check out "Confessions", it sounds like something I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mon plaisir, Carrie. Au revoir, Lonnie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!