Sunday Shout Out (7)



Recently, I introduced a new feature here at In the Hammock on Sundays. It's called "Sunday Shout Out" and it's a place where I can give a special shout out to those publishers and authors who have sent me books over the week, as well as those bloggers who have hosted contests that I've won! I'll also be giving shout outs to any other cool books, blogs or bookish news that I've spotted during the week.

Check out my first Sunday Shout Out post for even more info, here!

For Review

"Simple Pleasures: Healthy Seasonal Cooking & Easy Entertaining" by Cornelia Guest


Vegan recipes, yay!! Plus this one has loads of gorgeous photos!

The publicist has given me permission to post two recipes from the book on my blog to celebrate the release on Tuesday June 12! Today I will share the Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad and I'll feature Zucchini Blossoms Stuffed with Amaranth along with my review later this week! Enjoy!!


Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad 
By Cornelia Guest,

Author of Cornelia Guest's Simple Pleasures: Healthy Seasonal Cooking and Easy Entertaining
Serves 6
Total time: 25 minutes
There is nothing like sweet summer corn. This pairing is smooth and crunchy, colorful, and totally delicious.
4 ears of corn, shucked
1 avocado, sliced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Heat a grill to medium-high. Grill corn, rotating often, until lightly charred, about 15 minutes
2. Let cool slightly. Carefully cut kernels from cobs.
3. Gently toss corn kernels with avocado, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and salt. Serve right away.
The above is an excerpt from the book Cornelia Guest's Simple Pleasures: Healthy Seasonal Cooking and Easy Entertaining by Cornelia Guest. The above excerpt is a digitally scanned reproduction of text from print. Although this excerpt has been proofread, occasional errors may appear due to the scanning process. Please refer to the finished book for accuracy.
© 2012 Cornelia Guest, author of Cornelia Guest's Simple Pleasures: Healthy Seasonal Cooking and Easy Entertaining
Author Bio
Cornelia Guest, 
author of Cornelia Guest's Simple Pleasures: Healthy Seasonal Cooking and Easy Entertaining, is an activist, philanthropist, and businesswoman. In 2009, she founded Cornelia Guest Events and Cornelia Guest Cookies, catering charity and entertainment events with healthy, delicious vegan food. She is launching her own line of animal-friendly handbags, wallets, and dog accessories made with a vegan alternative to leather. She lives in New York.
For more information please visit http://www.corneliaguest.com, and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter

I'm sharing the recipe with those at Weekend Cooking over at Beth Fish Reads! 
 

Current contest ends Sunday 6/10 at midnight!

"Tempest Rising" Autographed by Tracy Deebs Ends 6/10


If you would like to do your own Sunday Shout out, please link back to this post, and leave your link in the comments section this weekend so I can check it out, and so that other readers can stop by too!!


31 comments

  1. This salad sounds really good a good way to get avocado in our diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on Carole's Chatter. If you would like to link in your avocado recipe, that would be great. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover of that cook book is gorgeous-I love the little dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love avocado. Sounds like a yummy recipe and now I want to see the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with avocado has to be good. The photos on the cover are beautiful, which makes me want to get the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right, now I'm really hungry! :) It looks yummy, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful summer recipe, and I love the cover of the this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a lovely book and I’m definetley going to try the recipe, though I may have to cheat with canned corn! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog, and yes that dress was amazing. I had another one in a lavender colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh it sounds so good! always nice to have books like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, are you vegan? I didn't know! Hooray for vegan recipes! I haven't heard of this book but I mention my vegan cookbooks in my vlog this week.

    It looks like a gorgeous book and thanks for sharing the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cover to the cooking book. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)


    Thank you also for dropping by My IMM!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds delish! I am going to have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. though not a vegan, I'm always interested in vegetarian/vegan recipes. Thanks for the recipe - I'll look for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This recipe looks great. I'm moving more and more towards being a vegetarian - it's all I seem to order when out at restaurants anyways and is so much healthier. I think I'll give this recipe a whirl - thanks!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photos MAKE a cook book for me. I'm so mean to photo-lacking books. I ignore them. Which is silly of me because two of my go-to cook books don't have photos. *sigh* I'm irrational in my photo prejudices :P Hope you make a lot of tasty treats with your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmmmmm grilled corn - yum! I love a good salad, and it sounds perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That book cover is beautiful! It always amazes me how much work goes into setting up photo shoots for cooking magazines and books.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One Sunday I have to try and shout too :=)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Avacado and corn, great combination, why didn't I think of it. will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love books like this, and I'm a sucker for summer corn! Also love the idea of simple pleasures! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy that sounds good! I also really want to read Tempest Rising so I'll check out the giveaway! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Recipe looks delicious! That looks like a really nice cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice! the recipe looks pretty pretty cool!
    :)
    I did my own Shout Out too!
    http://moourl.com/pvpvt

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooo, love grilled corn AND i love avocado! :D I'll definitely be trying this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhh, I love cookbooks! I really need to invest in some good ones. :) This one sounds awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That salad sounds fantastic. I'm making it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!