"Tempestuous" Review

"Tempestuous: A Twisted Lit Novel"
by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes

Publisher: Merit Press
Release Date: Dec 18, 2012
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Summary from goodreads.com:
Recently banished, unfairly, by the school’s popular crowd, former “it girl,” Miranda Prospero, finds herself in a brave new world: holding dominion amongst a rag-tag crew of geeks and misfits where she works at the Hot-Dog Kabob in the food court of her local mall. When the worst winter storm of the season causes mall workers and last-minute shoppers to be snowed-in for the night, Miranda seizes the opportunity to get revenge against the catty clique behind her social exile. With help from her delightfully dweeby coworker, Ariel, and a sullen loner named Caleb who works at the mall’s nearby gaming and magic shop, Miranda uses charm and trickery to set things to right during this spirited take on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.

My Review:

This book was adorable and so much fun! I can see it being made into a great teen movie! It actually reminded me of another movie set in a mall, think "Paul Blart Mall Cop" if the mall were run by teenagers with no adults.

The book was complete read on its own, but I do feel like I was missing out because I have never read or seen "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare, the work that this book is based upon. I tried to find some info about the play online but I really couldn't come up with that many similarities without reading the play. But the absolute best part of the book, and other books like this, is that now I want to read the original work! Hopefully this series will introduce younger readers to classic books and encourage them to read the originals as well!

The story is a fun overnight romp at the local mall, with a lively cast of characters. Miranda and Caleb being handcuffed together was one of my favorite storylines. He really had that teen bad boy thing going for him, but it seemed like Miranda always took the lead! The fact that Miranda used to actually be one of the "mean girls" took that storyline to a level that you don't usually see.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5
Setting: 5/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5


Bottom Line: This book is a such a fun story, perfect for the next big teen movie! I'm definitely inspired to read the Shakespeare play, "The Tempest", now!

5 comments

  1. Lol, what a cool way to re do The tempest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goes to show how much meat Shakespeare provides, when you think about all the films and books inspired by his work, though a shopping mall just doesn't do it for me in comparison with a magical island. But Miranda in the play simply alls in love with a boy called Ferdinand, it's her father who wants revenge. Is there a love interest called Ferdinand in this? :-)

    You should read the play now. I imagine your local library has it. Or you can download it from Project Gutenberg for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought this book would turn out to be as good as you say! Now I feel like I have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book when I had the chance to read it last year. It was just so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!