"Put on Your Crown"


"Put on Your Crown: Life-Changing Moments on the Path to Queendom"
by Queen Latifah (Sarah Marshall-contributor)

Source: provided by Anna at Hachette Books

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:

This is Queen Latifah's inspirational guide for women of all ages, covering topics ranging from beauty to money. I've always liked the image that Queen Latifah portrays of herself and have liked her in any shows or movies I've seen her in. She definitely has an aura of girl-power, so I was excited to read some tips from her on self-esteem.

Queen Latifah holds nothing back, she divulges private information (as well as her private feelngs) about situations like her brother's death and even her brief time as a broke celebrity. It takes a strong person to talk about things like this so publicly and in doing so, she's showing the reader that she "practices what she preaches."

Two parts of the book stood out as my favorites. First, the section on beauty, which celebrates the beauty of all shapes, sizes, and colors. I also loved the section about Queen Latifah's mother, who seems like such a strong woman. Queen Latifah's love for her mother is evident in every word spoken about her and she even gives her a few pages to write her own thoughts and guidance.

Some of the sections didn't interest me all that much, Queen Latifah is a bit of a daredevil, so I didn't quite connect with her cliff diving and motorcycle analogies to conquering fear.

This book is a short read and packs a lot of inspiration in a small amount of pages. I think my favorite mantra that I've taken from the book is on page 157:

"You have to hold your head up and look at the horizon, because if you don't, if you keep gazing down at the ground, your crown's gonna fall right off."


Bottom Line:

I recommend this book to fans of Queen Latifah because you can really tell she's writing from her soul and sharing her own private experiences and feelings to help and inspire others.

6 comments

  1. This seems very interesting. I also like the mantra, especially the crown part! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review! This book actually caught my eye at Target this morning. I picked it up and skimmed it for a few moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I'm not a big fan of Queen Latifah, but it does sounds like a really good book full of tips and advice for me too. :) That mantra is really good, and I just copy pasted it, because I luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She always seem so cool, i do like her :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like her movies, she has such a great presence and brings such life to them. :D It sounds like a great read, the mantra's so creative~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I've always liked Queen Latifah and thought she was a great role model for young girls. Great to know her book is good as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!