"Exit the Actress" Review

"Exit the Actress"
by Priya Parmar

Publisher: Touchstone
Release Date: Feb 1, 2011

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:

While selling oranges in the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden, sweet and sprightly Ellen "Nell" Gwyn impresses the theater’s proprietors with a wit and sparkle that belie her youth and poverty. She quickly earns a place in the company, narrowly avoiding the life of prostitution to which her sister has already succumbed. As her roles evolve from supporting to starring, the scope of her life broadens as well. Soon Ellen is dressed in the finest fashions, charming the theatrical, literary, and royal luminaries of Restoration England. Ellen grows up on the stage, experiencing first love and heartbreak and eventually becoming the mistress of Charles II. Despite his reputation as a libertine, Ellen wholly captures his heart—and he hers—but even the most powerful love isn’t enough to stave off the gossip and bitter court politics that accompany a royal romance. Telling the story through a collection of vibrant seventeenth-century voices ranging from Ellen’s diary to playbills, letters, gossip columns, and home remedies, Priya Parmar brings to life the story of an endearing and delightful heroine.

My Review:

I've been very intrigued by Nell Gwynne for some time and this book was a really enjoyable read about her life. The "cast" is full of colorful characters. It's difficult sometimes so read books and watch movies about historical figures because each author puts their own spin on their personality. I really liked Parmar's vision of Nell/Ellen, I thought she treated her with dignity and respect, in spite of her being most famous for being a mistress.


I thought the journal format would be awkward at first, but I found it made the book move really quickly. I loved the "Ambrose Rose" articles (even though I was wrong about his identity!) but I found the letters often unnecessary. I liked that they tied King Charles into the story from the beginning, but they seemed irrelevant to me.


What I liked best about this book is that it made me think, both about Ellen, and myself. It made me want to research even more about Ellen and her contemporaries, and see for myself what's fact and what's fiction. It also made me think about what I would have done in her shoes. I don't agree with some of her choices, so it's interesting to think about what I would have done differently.


I have such a soft spot for Charles Hart, Ellen's first lover. I felt like Ellen was pretty hard on him and he was so good to her and her family as well. Sure, he was sulky and jealous, but who wouldn't be when they knew their lover didn't love them anymore? One of the kickers for me was when Hart was taking Ellen and her family to his country house to escape the plague. People were beating on the windows begging to go with them, but Hart wouldn't let them add another person because of the danger of being infected. Ellen knew she and her family would be out there begging if not for Hart. I feel like this was supposed to make Hart look mean but really wasn't he just protecting them from the disease wiping out most of London? Ellen had a way of not appreciating what she had. She also mooned about later in the story saying she wanted only one man who would love her. But I feel like she didn't want that when she had it with Hart. 


The supporting cast was great in this book, especially Teddy. At first I thought he was going to be written as some kind of caricature of a man who was famous for playing women onstage. But I quickly realized Teddy wasn't a caricature or a mockery at all, but a sweet, caring friend to Ellen, who was always there when she needed him.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5 

Setting: 5/5
Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5


 

Bottom Line: This is a very enjoyable book. the characters come to life and are lovingly written. And most importantly, it makes you think.

19 comments

  1. Very nice review Carrie. You always make me interested in the book you're reviewing. I have to be honest and say I wouldn't stop for anyone who might infect me either...LOL I would try to protect the ones I love first or at least that's what I think I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks, Karen!!

    I'm glad to hear your input about that part of the novel. I debated deleting that part of my review, but it was a part of the book that really stood out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Nell before but that's because I avoided pretty much all history when I was in school. I really regret that now. This sounds really good. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I think I'll be checking this one out =) Thanks Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently acquired this book but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Thanks for the review. I haven't had a chance to read about Nell yet, but I have at least 3 books on her! What am I waiting for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always read the most interesting books, I swear!!

    I had never heard of Nell but it sounds like her life was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book too! Ambrose Rose was my favorite part of the book :) I felt so bad for Charles Hart - poor guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Carrie. I've been hearing really good things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant review: this book sounds absolutely amazing! I'm adding it to my wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I will add this one to my Wishlist. I've been really enjoying the historical books I've read lately. I don't know much about Nell Gywn, but I'm interested in reading this book to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed it Carrie. I think stories that play on fact are so fascinating because the possibilities seem endless.

    I've read books writing in journal or letter format before and they are a bit jarring. But something about reading 'person letters' does make the reading faster going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review :D I know nothing about her, other then yes mistress and actress. But I want to know more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab review. Your review made me thing and that's why I want this book. I've added it to the top of my wishlist and when I make my weekly purchases I'm pretty sure I will pick this one up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear carrie, i am so pleased you reviewed it! i always read your blog and i can't tell you how exciting it was to see my novel here! thank you so much for the gorgeously written review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much, everyone!!

    Priya, thank you so much for stopping by! I loved the book, and I'm glad you enjoyed my review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had this on my TBR list forever! It sounds so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great review Carrie! I don't think I ever heard of the author but the book sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe I missed this review! Oh I do need to pick up this book. Thanks so much for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! Nell is such a fascinating women. I really need to pick up a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!