"Kiss of Steel" Review

"Kiss of Steel"
by Bec McMaster

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: Sep 4, 2012
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars

Summary from goodreads.com:
A brilliantly creative debut where vampires, werewolves, and clockwork creatures roam the mist-shrouded streets of London...

When Nowhere is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitecapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries--no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel--or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.

My Review:

This book was a really impressive debut novel. I really liked the alternate historical world that the author built, and her characters were complex and likable. There was a large steampunk element that I really enjoyed, and a lot of vampire lore for the paranormal fan.

Honoria was a strong female lead, the book never turns into controlling vampire with submissive, weak-willed female, like many paranormals. She put Blade in his place many times, and I especially liked the scene where she let Blade's best friend Will know that no matter how much Will didn't like her, she was there to stay.

I really liked Blade, of course I mostly liked his soft and tender side. Sometimes the way he was both sweet as can be and such an alpha vampire seemed like it was trying to make the character please all readers all at once, and sometimes didn't seem like it could be true. Yes, I know that he was fighting with his dark vampire side at all times, but that's not what I mean. I actually liked that contrast. That was more of a gruff and tough outer shell with a heart of gold, which it totally believable. But sometimes, I found myself saying "Blade wouldn't say that or think that," so I had to just ignore his over the top alpha moments.

At first, I thought I wouldn't like Blade's heavy cockney accent, it's not something I'd ever seen done for a hero before. But it started to make him even more charming and adorable! For some reason it was so sweet that he didn't have that perfect, high-brow accent that we are so used to seeing in historical heroes.


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5 (I want to know what happens to them, I hope there is a sequel)
Setting: 5/5

Romance: 5/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 5+/5 (How can you not want to read this book after seeing that cover!)
Writing: 5/5


Bottom Line:  A fantastic mix of steampunk, vampires, and lots of romance!


7 comments

  1. I want to read this one now! Great review Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is both paranormal and steampunk, that sounds like a good convo, actually. And I get you on the accent! It's not exactly the most romantic thing ever but I'm glad it worked out :D

    Book sounds pretty awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the accent..maybe cos I understood it better than those Scottish ones! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrie!

    Just saw your post on Book Blogs, and decided to follow you.
    Hope you can stop by my blog and eventually enter my giveaway!

    Andreia @ tyrony.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought this one twoish weeks ago and now I can't wait to read it. I hate when the female leads are weak and the male character is overly macho. I'm glad that these characters broke away from the standards.

    Thanks for the awesome review, I love the cover of this one as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!