"Another Pan" Review


"Another Pan"
by Daniel and Dina Nayeri

Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: Oct 26, 2010

Source: sent by publisher


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:

Sixteen-year-old Wendy Darling and her insecure freshman brother, John, are hitting the books at the Marlowe School. But one tome consumes their attention: THE BOOK OF GATES, a coveted Egyptian artifact that their professor father believes has magical powers. Soon Wendy and John discover that the legend is real—when they recite from its pages and descend into a snaking realm beneath the Manhattan school. As the hallways darken, and dead moths cake the floor, a charismatic new R.A. named Peter reveals that their actions have unleashed a terrible consequence: the underworld and all its evil is now seeping into Marlowe. Daniel Nayeri and Dina Nayeri return to reimagine Peter Pan as a twisty, atmospheric, and fast-paced fantasy about the perils of immortality.

My review:

"Another Pan" didn't have quite as much to do with the original Peter Pan story as I was expecting. Certain elements were definitely inspired by the story, like names and characters, but I think I wanted more of the actual plot to be like a modern retelling of the story.

That being said, I did like that certain aspects that mirrored the original story. I really enjoyed trying to figure out the nods to Barrie's "Peter Pan" because sometimes they weren't obvious. For instance, Tina, Peter's second in command was a great take on Tinkerbell. Tina was a tough girl in love with Peter, and definitely jealous of Wendy. Other moments I felt like I was uncovering a secret, such as-aha-that's the pixie dust!

I loved the five stories about ancient Egypt that held the clues to the mystery. The stories were fascinating and I'm glad authors told us the whole stories instead of just hinting or summarizing. I liked the Egyptian tie-in and the fact that the characters were involved in a museum exhibit. This reminded me of one of my favorite television shows, "Unnatural History." Sometimes I wasn't really sure how closely this related to the original "Peter Pan" though.

Sometimes, the villain's point of view slowed the story down, as did some of the adults' viewpoints. I really liked Wendy's father but reading about the villain got tiresome for me. I'd much rather see the story through Peter, Wendy, and John's eyes.

I liked the characters' "Happy Thoughts" compiled at the end of the chapters. It was another great homage to the original story.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 5/5 (this is exactly what a modern Peter Pan story would look like to me)
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line:This story is absorbing, and I enjoyed trying to uncover all of the references to "Peter Pan."

8 comments

  1. This may be one of the few exceptions of ya that I'll read. But thanks to you I've added a number of them to my tbrlist. *grins* *Only* if you recommend them...XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds kind of interesting! I'm a bit glad to hear that it's not completely similar to Peter Pan, it's nice to be a bit surprised. Nice review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm halfway through this one right now, and there are some really good parts! Sometimes it's a little slow, but it's really creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Carrie! I actually really liked this take on the original story, and I'm glad to see you enjoyed it for the most part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Another Faust, and it wasn't the greatest book I've ever read, it had slow moments during different POV's too. I'll probably read this one though, it sounds interesting.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
    ♪♫ Ambur

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am getting ready to read this. I will try to keep an open mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, I like when authors take a different take on things. And nice if the plot is not that obviously following the old story

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!