"My Love, My Enemy" Review

"My Love, My Enemy"
by Jan Cox Speas

Publisher: Sourcebooks
Release Date: Feb 1, 2011 (first published 1961)

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.75 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:

Played against the exciting background of the War of 1812, My Love, My Enemy ranges in colorful setting from Annapolis and Washington to Bermuda, Europe and the high seas...and has for its central character a most appealing and impulsive heroine.

The trouble started with Page Bradley's determination to risk the British blockade and steal a ride aboard her father's boat to Annapolis. Once in town, she could hardly have stood quietly by while a mob of angry seamen prepared to lynch the handsome young Englishman. It was only natural to intervene, claiming the stranger as an expected guest of her father.

Perhaps all still would have been well if, on its return home, the Bradley sloop had not been captured by a British frigate. It was small consolation then for Page to learn that the man she had rescued was not only a nobleman, Lord Hazard, but a possible English spy.

In the following months Page more than satisfied her taste for adventure. When she finally found herself trapped aboard a warlike vessel, bound for a distant foreign shore, and in love with one of the enemy, she had ample reason to regret her recklessness. . .

My Review: 


Fans of adventure on the high seas are going to love this one. The romance is overshadowed just a bit by the adventure, but the snippets we get of the romance are quite good. Sometimes I wanted more of the romance or social interaction of all of the great characters instead of discussion of war strategies though. 


Considering the book was originally written in 1961, I didn't feel like the book seemed dated at all. I was worried that there were going to be some gender issues or that the hero was going to be all overbearing alpha-male, but I'm guessing that trend didn't start until the 70s because Hazard was a great guy and I can definitely see how Page fell in love with him.


All of the characters were very relateable and well-written. I loved Hazard's dual sides as both an English gentleman and a 'pirate.' The secondary characters were fun addition s to the story and I liked how the author tied up the ending for everyone involved. Farley, Hazard's valet, especially stood out. He was just too adorable, and great for some much needed comic relief.



Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5
Setting: 4/5
Romance: 3/5
(not enough of it!)
Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5




Bottom Line:  This was a fun swashbuckling adventure, even though I did want to see a little more of the romance. 



Just for fun, I wanted to post the past covers of this book. 
(pics from goodreads.com)


This is the original 1961 cover from William Morrow & Co.


Actually, I think this cover is adorable and really represents what the book is. A young girl peering over the high seas, because the book really is mostly about Page's journey, with a little romance too. There's also an innocence about the cover that I saw in the book as well.


Next is the 1978 cover from Avon.


While I actually really like this illustration style, the portrayal of Hazard really scares me!! He doesn't ever act so grim and mean! Thank goodness! I don't think Page is quite so submissive to him, either. 

5 comments

  1. Ok not a fan of the original cover, but the second works..makes me think of *blackout*...that man in Jane Eyre...Mr..oh you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the older covers best. I wonder if there was not enough romance because it was 1961. I would definitely get bored with over-talk of war strategies. Sounds like a fun read, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!! Those old covers are a hoot! :) The book sounds fun, though I dunno about the whole war stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's from 1961? I'll have to check this book out. It sounds like a good read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool Carrie - showing all the covers. That first one is kind of weird though...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!