"Veiled Rose" Review

"Veiled Rose"
by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Publisher: Bethany House
Release Date: July 1, 2011 
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  

Rose Red trusts no one with her secret. She hides in the forest, her face veiled in rags, shunning the company of all save her old father and her nanny goat. Her life is bleak and lonely.
Until she meets a privileged young man sent to spend his summer in the mountains. Leo, a lonely lad, befriends Rose Red, and together they begin hunting for the Mountain Monster which, rumor says, stalks these lands.
But the hunt which began as a game holds greater risk than Leo supposes. Rose Red can scarcely guess at the consequences should he insist on continuing his search. Dare she trust him with her secret? Or tell him what dwells at the top of the mountain in the cave only she can find?
Above all, when Leo asks Rose Red to leave the mountain and follow him to the low country, dare she agree and risk the wrath of a Monster that is all too real?

My Review:

I've seen many great reviews of this series, but I have to be honest and say that I just didn't "get it." I think it hindered my reading that I didn't read the first book, but the story was just way too cryptic for my tastes. I felt like I wandered through the book in a fog that made no sense. I wanted at least one straight answer to my many questions.

I liked Leo's character and his growth. I especially liked that the author started to call him by his full name, "Lionheart", when he really became a man instead of a boy. However, I felt off-balance the whole time by his three love interests. The girl that was in the story the least, whom we knew the least about, was the girl that he was in love with. This really confused me and I didn't feel connected to her at all.

I actually liked how complex Daylily's character was, even if she wasn't always likable. At least the reader could understand her feelings and she had some redeeming moments where she did the right thing. I also loved Beana, the goat. She was a great mentor and gave a lot of guidance.

The lack of happily ever after and the confusion I felt even at the end contributed to why I didn't enjoy the book as much as I had hoped.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 2/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Writing: 3/5



Bottom Line: I'm glad this book has so many great reviews, but it wasn't for me. I grew tired of the mixed messages and trying to decipher even the smallest things about the story.


1 comment

  1. Sure it does sound good, but if you felt like that about the end, then no thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!