Book Blogger Confessions (2)


Hi everyone! I'm participating in a bi-weekly event hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Media. Book Blogger Confessions is all about discussing topics that are relevant to book bloggers in a respectful way.

You can check out the other posts and link up your own here!


This week's topic is: 

Memes. Love em' or hate em'? How many do you participate in? Which kinds do you like best? Do you feel like there are too many?

My response:

I think memes are really fun and they are a great way to interact with other bloggers. By linking up in a link list or at a certain post, you feel like you've been 'invited' to stop by someone's blog. It's a great way for everyone to feel included and welcome.

My favorite meme is probably Waiting on Wednesday at Breaking the Spine, because I have a never ending virtual list of books that I am waiting to be released. It's never tough for me to find one to feature. And I have found SO many great new books by reading other bloggers' WoW posts. That's probably why my list is so long haha.

I also really like Teaser Tuesday at Should be Reading, even though I don't always have time to participate in that one. By seeing other bloggers' teasers, I have been able to find a lot of books that I never would have picked up otherwise, because they have a fun teaser that appealed to me.

Mailbox posts and 'what are you reading' memes are other fun events to participate in, and usually promote a lot of interaction.

A new event that I've found that I really enjoyed is Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads. I don't review that many cookbooks, but when I do, I make sure to link up there, because it's a really fun community and there's a lot of interaction.

I've personally been really hit or miss with the Friday follow memes. These are the only events where I've had bad experiences. I've had snarky comments about how my responses aren't long enough, etc, which created an air of negativity for me. When I do participate, I go to TGIF at Greads because it seems to be a positive event so far!

I don't think there are too many memes, there's a variety because not everyone likes the same things. I think everyone has their favorites that they participate in, for whatever reason. Maybe they like the event itself, or maybe they like the blogger who hosts or those who participate.

 "What are your thoughts on memes and weekly blog events???"



16 comments

  1. Oooo...I like the look of your blog, and you've given me some memes to check into. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize there was cooking meme. I will have to check it out.
    Sometimes my stream feels flooded with memes but you always have the choice to participate or not so I don't think there can ever be too many as long as they are fun and not an obligation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by. I think you make a good point in that memes are a great way to be introduced to other books that you may not have heard of otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like mailbox-esque memes, too! I think it's fun to see what everyone got that week. I also agree about Waiting on Wednesday - I've found lots of great books that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like memes alright.
    I prefer anything with a teaser or snippet of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I don't participate in memes, I just can't seem to find the time, I do enjoy hopping around for the mailbox meme just to see what books are showing up in peoples mail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised and horrified that you had such an experience with the friday follow memes. I stopped participating in that one because I just didn't have the time to reciprocate. When I have time I do it though. Memes certainly introduced me to a variety of new blogs and made me feel welcome in the book blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed Meme are awesome ^_^ I love mainly WOW and IMM. They are the ones I wait on daily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, really? That's really disappointing since I really loved participating in the Friday meme because I really love discovering new blogs. :) I really love the WoW meme as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on WOW and mailbox memes! I really love them. I used to like the Friday ones, but lately they don't feel as welcoming. And wow, you've had those kind of comments? o.o That's... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the memes that foster discussion. And I think participating in any meme is a great way to find new blogs as well as get your blog out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really participate in memes but I enjoy coming across them on other blogs, especially WoW and Top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about the FFollow thing :/ Who gives snarky comments at times like that? So not cool

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience--it does put a damper on things.

    Overall, I like memes, though the only one I participate in regularly is Teaser Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you, it is nice that there are so many memes - there is always something for someone to participate in. I've never had a bad experience with a meme (I'm sorry that you have!). I also enjoy WOW and of course BBC - I tend to prefer discussion type memes or those that encourage some interaction between bloggers. It is nice to be able to see a different, or more personal side, of a blogger through their meme answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love memes! They're a great way to stimulate interaction with other bloggers and with readers, Despite my love for memes, I think there should be a balance of memes and completely 'original' posts on a blog like a review because while memes are not zero work, too many memes make me raise an eyebrow because I feel like I'm not really getting to see the blogger as much as I'd like. Do you get what I mean?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!