"Sixty Acres and a Bride" Review

"Sixty Acres and a Bride"
by Regina Jennings

Publisher: Bethany House
Release Date: Feb 1, 2012

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  




With nothing to their names, young widow Rosa Garner and her mother-in-law return to Texas and the family ranch. Only now the county is demanding back taxes and the women have only three months to pay. Though facing eviction, Rosa can't keep herself from falling in love with the countryside and the wonderful extended family who want only her best. Learning the American customs is not easy, however, and this beautiful young widow can't help but catch wandering eyes. Where some offer help with dangerous strings attached, only one man seems honorable. But when Weston Garner, still grieving his own lost love, is unprepared to give his heart, to what lengths will Rosa go to save her future?
My Review:

I wanted to like this book because I had heard amazing things about it, but it seemed slow to me, and I felt like I had read this style of story many times before. I didn't feel like there was much romance between the two leads, I felt like it was more about both Rosa and Weston overcoming the aftermath their disastrous first marriages.

I thought there might be more about Rosa's Mexican heritage, but I felt like most of the book concentrated on the people of her new town trying to stomp out any reminders of her heritage, especially in the way she dressed and acted. I also didn't like the way the picture was painted that because she was from Mexico, she was the town harlot. This is just something that rubbed me the wrong way personally, I know that other readers didn't get this message from the book at all.

The two leads were lovely characters, I just felt like the romance between them wasn't developed enough. It didn't seem like enough was added to the typical historical story of life in a western town.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: Overall, a nice story, but didn't have the extra oomph I was looking for.
 

9 comments

  1. Still it sounds nice enough, too bad though about that extra oomph missing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think I would have really big problems with this book (since I'm Mexican and all). So I think I'm going to skip it.

    I do love the blouse she's wearing on the cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a big fan of a great romance, so it's a little disappointing to hear you didn't feel there was much chemistry between these two:( I completely understand wanting that something "extra" when reading. Thanks for the review Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm an old gfc follower of yours. :)
    I'm sorry to bother you, but if you have time, Would you please visit my blog and follow me back?
    thanks!!

    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I like the thing about overcoming the challenges from their first marriages, but I've absolutely got to feel the romance from the leads, otherwise I might as well be reading general lit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, would be good to read this one if the story focuses more one the main leads and their love story rather than the other people who are not that important in the story. In the hammock blog is really cool. thanks for doing this reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate how that happens sometimes. You go in with great expectations and they fall flat. I'd be disappointed too if they painted the lead as the town harlot because of her heritage. Sorry it wasn't the book you expected.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a shame this didn't live up to expectations but I really like the cover

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!