"The Best Man" Review

"The Best Man"
by Kristan Higgins

Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Release Date: Feb 26, 2013
Source: sent by publicist

My Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

Summary from goodreads.com:
Sometimes the best man is the one you least expect…Faith Holland left her hometown after being jilted at the altar. Now a little older and wiser, she's ready to return to the Blue Heron Winery, her family's vineyard, to confront the ghosts of her past, and maybe enjoy a glass of red. After all, there's some great scenery there….

Like Levi Cooper, the local police chief—and best friend of her former fiancĂ©. There's a lot about Levi that Faith never noticed, and it's not just those deep green eyes. The only catch is she's having a hard time forgetting that he helped ruin her wedding all those years ago. If she can find a minute amidst all her family drama to stop and smell the rosĂ©, she just might find a reason to stay at Blue Heron, and finish that walk down the aisle.

My Review:

I didn't love this one as much as I've loved other books by this author, but this one was still cute and sweet, and very much along the same lines as her other books.

This book walks the fine line between the chick lit and contemporary romance genres, and I think it might appeal to a broad audience. Faith is very much the star of the show here, with all of her trials and tribulations, which makes the story seem like chick lit. It seemed a bit more whiny and 'woe is me' than I would have liked, but overall it was a cute enough book.

I do love how the author can pull of that small town voice without it seeming like she's using a fake southern accent. The tone and voice of the novel feels very authentic. It's like you are sitting down to hear a tale from a small town's best storyteller. It never feels silly or cliche.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5
Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 5/5 Adorable!
Writing: 4/5


Bottom Line: A good fit for those who love both chick lit and romance.

8 comments

  1. Sounds like a cute "in between" books read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. More than I have the last few releases she's had though I do agree that this isn't my favorite. Still, it was a fun read. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she has a right to whine or is it wine?? She was jilted at the alter and the only prospects of a man is someone that helped? That has to suck! But still, she didn't marry the wrong guy so that counts for something. There are worse things than being jilted. It does sound more like chick lit than romance if you gave the romance only 3 stars. I'm with you on the cover though!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I might have to give this a go, I received a copy and wasn't sure about it, but seeing as you said it has broad appeal, I might read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm disappointed to hear about the "woe is me" aspect. I think I love the cover most of all. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it was sweet and fun even if not as good as others in the series.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed this overall, despite it not being your absolute favorite. Getting the voice right and sounding authentic is important, and it's good that Higgins gets that right. Not sure I like the sound of the "woe is me" attitude from Faith, but I'm still willing to give it a try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!