"Hades" Review

"Hades"
by Alexandra Adornetto

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: Aug 30, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  

Heaven Help Her.

Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well.

The story that Alexandra Adornetto built in her New York Times-bestselling debut, Halo, comes alive in action-packed and unexpected ways, as angels battle demons, and the power of love is put to the test.

My Review:

Honestly, from the reviews I've read of this book, I was expecting a lot worse. I actually liked the beginning of the book before Bethany was kidnapped and went to Hell. The beginning was very light and fluffy, and sure, she over-romanticized Xavier, but there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I liked that Bethany and Xavier had a happy, healthy relationship.

However, after Jake kidnapped Bethany and took her to Hell, I wasn't as interested in what happened. The overly sweet writing style didn't work in that setting for me. You could tell the book was written by someone very young, it just felt a bit limited in it's overall view of the world. There wasn't a lot of structure to the world she built or to the rules of that world. There were lots of holes in the plot and setting.

I didn't really enjoy the constant bickering between Xavier and Bethany's best friend, Molly, because it seemed too close to flirting. There was definitely one of those "I hate you, I love you" vibes going on, even though it was never addressed.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5 ( I liked it a LOT before I knew this was the kidnapping scene!)
Writing: 3/5



Bottom Line: I really didn't hate the book but I think with the author's style, she might have been better suited to write a gooey, fluffy, teen romantic comedy instead of a paranormal set in hades.

8 comments

  1. I think Adornetto's obvious age influence in her writing is one reason I didn't really enjoy Halo. I will probably pick this up, but only because I hate to leave things unfinished. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really seems like the eye catching cover would be about the only thing I would like with this one. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review. It sounds like it could have been worse which I guess that's a good thing. The cover is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh, I kind of wanted to read the first book of this series - that gorgeous cover!! - but then I saw how big it is! and hear things like what you said- the overly sweet style and all that -and was put off.

    It doesn't seem like Iw ould want to pick up this one either :( which is sad, because those covers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! It's too bad you didn't like the second part as much but thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps not, but the Hell part does sound interesting, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a lot of reviews hating on this book, as well. I never even read HALO, but I think you're right - Adornetto DOES seem like the type of writer that should be writing fluffy books. And, hey, there's nothing wrong with a fluffy read every once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read so many mixed reviews about these books. I doubt I will read them one day! thanks for sharing!

    ^.^

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!