"The Highlander's Heart" Review

"The Highlander's Heart"
by Amanda Forester

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: Nov 1, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


Fleeing into the wilderness to escape an abusive marriage, Lady Isabelle Tynsdale would sooner face down a wild boar than spend another night with her wretched husband. Battered by the elements, desperate to elude a band of attackers, and defending herself against, as fate would have it, a wild boar she is rescued by the handsome Laird David Campbell.
Campbell knows holding Isabelle captive for ransom is his best chance to temper the storm threatening to destroy his clan. The ransom of an English countess should be more than enough to pay off his debts to England and save him from an unwanted marriage. But Isabelle didn't escape her husband just to become another man's captive and Laird Campbell is seriously misguided if he thinks she's going to go quietly.

My Review:

After reading the author's first book and finding it a really refreshing change from the norm, I was excited to read this book. I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the first, but it was still a sweet, relaxing read.

The story is very sweet, and nothing really objectionable happens. There are no cringe-worthy moments or traumas. Even the ever-present highlander kidnapping turns out to be a good thing for all involved. The leads were slightly bland for my liking but there were actually two supporting couples with romances of their own and they were a little more multi-faceted. I enjoyed watching the secondary romances play out.

It did seem like problems and obstacles worked themselves out a little too perfectly and a little too quickly. On one page an obstacle would arise and it would be solved perfectly on the following page. Still it was a cute, sweet, and relaxing read.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 3/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: If you're looking for a sweet, quick read about highlanders, this is the book for you.

8 comments

  1. It sounds cute, like just to pass time.
    I think I could possibly like it though, so I'll try to get my paws on it.

    thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this author's debut. I may skip this book, however, since the leads are bland and the romance is more sweet than sexy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and relaxing does not sound bad :) Sometimes no drama is good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes there's nothing better than a "cute, relaxing read." :) I need a break between all those dystopian and zombie books, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the Highlander's Sword and really enjoyed it. I guess I will give this one a try too, even though I don't usually read general market romance. I was pleasantly surprised by her first book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a nice low pressure read :) Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!