"Kiss Crush Collide" Review

"Kiss Crush Collide"
by Christina Meredith

Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Release Date: Dec 27, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


Leah has the life most high school girls would kill for—popularity, glowing grades, a rich, athletic boyfriend. So why does she feel like she can’t breathe? And why can’t she stop thinking about the boy from the country club? The one who isn’t her boyfriend, the one that her mother would never, ever approve of, the one that her perfect older sisters would never, ever look at twice. The one who is always looking back at her. Irresistible attraction, smoldering glances, the bad boy and the good girl—Kiss Crush Collide has everything that a steamy forbidden romance should, and then some.

With graceful and honest writing and an electric love story, this is a book about growing into your own skin. For fans of Perfect Chemistry, Sarah Dessen, and John Green.

My Review:

This book was written in a style that I hadn't really seen before. It was written in first person, so that always adds a little bit of novelty to a book, but here it read a bit strangely. The prose was almost like puffs of dream, instead of complete thoughts. There was also a lot of observances of mundane, everyday things that were blown up into huge detail. It was actually an interesting and new approach, but I'm not sure it was for me.

The story was definitely more focused on the family drama, especially Leah's sisters, rather than her relationship with Porter/Duffy. It seemed like Duffy was more like just another way to prove herself as different from her sisters than a true love story. The cover is a bit misleading for this reason, it would be more accurate with three sisters on the cover.



Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 5/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: Overall, this is really quick read, so it's a good way to spend a rainy afternoon, but doesn't really deliver in the romance department.

10 comments

  1. I felt the same way. In fact you may have liked it a bit more than me. My review goes up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure about the book, but I liked that puffs of dreams thing. That made me curious

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to read this one!

    stop by my post full of quotes from some of today's best authors! :)

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/writing-inspiration-quotes-from-some-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really excited for this one, probably because it was compared to Perfect Chemistry. I have only read so-so reviews on this one so I think I'm not excited for it anymore.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this one. Doesn't sound like one I'll be picking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that's too bad.
    It sounds like the blurb doesn't match the book and that's one of my biggest pet - peeves.

    and the girl kind of annoys me from the description.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very curious about these puffs of dreams but not sure this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a really cute read but the reviews have only been so-so. I'll probably still give it a try and see it doesn't sound bad. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm, sounds like I'll give this one a miss. I love the way you describe the writing, though, as "almost like puffs of dream, instead of complete thoughts." That gives me a good idea of what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like first person, but I am not a fan of lots of family dramas. I might pass for now but come back later. Great review though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!