"Fortune's Son" Review

"Fortune's Son"
by Emery Lee


Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: Nov 1, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


Love is the ultimate gamble…

Seasoned gambler Philip Drake knows every trick and uses most of them. After years of infamy, he’s ready to accept the mantle of respectability with his earldom— until a devastating racing loss and the threat of debtors’ prison force Philip right back into his gaming ways…

Susannah, Lady Messingham, is a woman with a past who refuses to belong to any man again. But Philip’s skill catches her eye and she persuades him to teach her how to win at the tables. Their new partnership turns into an exhilarating high-stakes game that entangles them in terrifying risk and unimaginable rewards…

Immerse yourself in the risky side of Georgian England with a pair of lovers who aren’t afraid to risk it all on a toss of the dice..
.

My Review:

This story was a nice change of pace from the typical historical romance. It definitely didn't follow the same formula as most romances. For that reason, it was a refreshing read.

On the same note, I was a little frustrated that so much of the story revolved around the gambling instead of the romance. This was especially true at the beginning. I found myself a little bored of all the explanations of how to win at cards and other games. But once the romance finally kicked off, I was definitely drawn in and really wanted these two to find their way to each other.

The older woman-younger man romance isn't one that we see a lot, but it's a storyline that I like a lot when I can find it. It really works here and it's well thought out and meaningful, not just a gimmick.

I must admit that I didn't read the first book in this series, "The Highest Stakes", because it wasn't packaged as historical romance, but as historical fiction. After reading "Fortune's Son", I feel like the series is a nice mix of both genres, it's not too romance-y but at the same time, it's not as gritty and dark as most historical fiction. I also think that I was probably missing a little by not having read the first book, so I will probably go back and read it now.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 5/5 (gorgeous!)
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: I recommend this one to readers who want a little something different from their historical romance.

4 comments

  1. That's interesting, I just read a paranormal/historical romance book that involved gambling and those were the parts I didn't care for either.
    I like the older woman dynamic too. I'm seeing it more often in romances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember the cover for book 1, very his fic, and this one very his romance for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading a book with a similar storyline right now. I'll let you know if the focus stays on the romance or gambling. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know you like this Georgian historical. It's on my must-read list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!