"Too Wicked to Wed" Review

"Too Wicked to Wed"
by Cara Elliott

Publisher: Forever
Release Date: Nov 1, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


Outspoken and independent, Lady Alexa Bingham enjoys the heady freedom of making all her own decisions, even though the challenges of overseeing her family's country estate are daunting. But when a chance encounter with London's most notorious rake awakens a secret longing for adventure, she accepts her aunt's invitation for a Season in Town . . . only to find that breaking the rules of the ton has serious consequences.
The Earl of Killingworth uses his rakehell reputation to hide the fact that poverty has forced him to work for a living. As the owner of a gambling den and brothel, Connor has no time for glittering ballrooms or innocent young ladies. But after a reckless wager leaves him with a new business partner, he is forced to take a risky gamble . . . Will the cards fall in their favor? Alexa and Connor begin to play a dangerous game of intrigue and deception as they seek to outwit a cunning adversary who wants to put them permanently out of business. But if they are not careful, it is the flames of their own fiery attraction that may destroy them.

My Review:

I think this is the start of a great new historical romance series. I love the three "Lords of Midnight" that the author has introduced. All three characters are definitely different from your run of the mill historical romance rogue. Connor might have been a little grouchy for my tastes, but he meant well, I think, so he was okay. But I loved Gryff and Cameron, the other two Lords of Midnight. I think Cameron will be especially fun to read about in his own story.

I also really liked the heroine, Alexa. She had a lot of spunk, and not in an annoying over-the-top way. I would have loved to have seen her traipsing around town with her cousin even more. They made a great pair, but after their infamous card game, he kind of disappeared.

I liked all of the gambling references and I almost wanted to see some type of card-playing in the title or on the cover. It could have tied in well with the book.



Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: Overall, this is a great start to a new series and we get to meet a while cast of fun and exciting new characters.

7 comments

  1. Huh, this sound really good!
    Thanks for the review. I have a soft spot for stories about gambling! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover but the description kind of confused me. Okay it really confused me. Maybe I need some sleep or something. Great review. I'm glad to know it is good and that it is a series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds good. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one & can't wait for Gryff & Cameron's stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good enough and I do like a spunky heroine in HR books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a good historical romance and I've never read anything by this author so maybe I'll give those one a try. Though the storyline isn't particularly unique perhaps she does something new with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!