"Fracture" Review

"Fracture"
by Megan Miranda

Publisher: Walker & Company
Release Date: Jan 17, 2012
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine

—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

My Review:

This book is definitely an interesting and new concept. I hadn't read anything quite like it before. I was really caught up in the beginning and middle of the book, but the end started to let me down just a little. Still, I would recommend it to others just because it's so new and different from most other books.

The most interesting concept of the book, in my opinion, was when Delaney started to realize that the accident on the ice and her coma didn't just affect the rest of her life, it affected many other people that she loves as well. We saw the effect that it had on her mother and her best friend Decker who both dealt with not being able to save her, and not having that control no matter how hard they tried.

There was something that happened towards the end that was really terrifying and I could have done without that whole storyline. It seemed a little over the top for me, especially for YA. There were some issues that I didn't feel were really explained or tied up in the end, as well.

I liked that the love triangle included someone who Delaney admitted was really bad for her. A lot of times a girl likes a 'bad boy' but all of his bad traits are glossed over and the girl loves him anyway. Here we see her start to fall for a 'bad boy' but realizes that he really isn't a good person and chooses not to pursue him.

Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: A new and different type of story, there are still some loose ends that need tying up, but worth a read just because it's so unique!

9 comments

  1. I have this one and I'm very excited to read it, :) thanks for your review, I got a clearer idea of the book now :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow she doesn't go after the bad boy, this is a new idea. Most of the time, as you stated, we read the bad boy and don't get to learn what makes him so bad.
    I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wonder how blind I am, this was the first time I saw the other face above o_O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad the bad boy in this particular book was a psycho... I really hated him a lot, he was too creepy

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, I think I might be too much of a romantic to want to read about a romance that doesn't end in a HEA. I am intrigued though! This does sound fresh and different from the "same old" out there in YA. I'm curious about that scary scene at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an ARC for this one but didn't get the chance to read it. I should probably give it a try, as I like 'new' things.
    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this one too! I'm glad Delaney decided not to go for bad boy Troy in the end, because he really was just awful. I really liked Decker as well, he was lovely! I think the whole concept was great as well, but the ending disappointed me a little - not enough was explained. Glad you enjoyed this one, great review :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!