"Liar's Moon" Review

"Liar's Moon"
by Elizabeth C. Bunce

Publisher: Arthur A. Levine/ Scholastic
Release Date: Nov 1, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


Prisons, poisons, and passions combine in a gorgeously written fantasy noir.

As a pickpocket, Digger expects to spend a night in jail every now and then. But she doesn't expect to find Lord Durrel Decath there as well--or to hear he's soon to be executed for killing his wife.

Durrel once saved Digger's life, and when she goes free, she decides to use her skills as a thief, forger, and spy to return the favor. But each new clue only opens up new mysteries. Durrel's late wife had an illegal business on the wrong side of the civil war raging just outside the city gates. Digger keeps finding forbidden magic in places it has no reason to be.

And for a thief in a town full of liars, sometimes it doesn't pay to know the truth.

My Review:

I loved the first book in this series, "Starcrossed", and I anxiously awaited the sequel all year. Maybe my anticipation was too great, but this book disappointed me a little. That special 'it' factor was missing from this one that was in the first book. There were still aspects that I loved about it, but it just wasn't as spectacular as the first book.

Of course, one of the things that I loved about the first book is still apparent in the sequel. Digger is such a fantastic female lead. I love how the traditional gender roles are reversed in this story. The boy, Durrel, is essentially the damsel in distress here, and Digger is the hero who must save him. Durrel is wrongfully serving time in jail, and it's up to Digger to use her wit and her skills to help him escape. The only thing I didn't really buy about this story was the romance between Digger and Durrel. It just wasn't believable for me.

There is a huge cliffhanger at the end of this book, so even if I was a bit disappointed in this installment of the series, I think the third book has the potential to be amazing! I will definitely read it as soon as it is released!


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: The first book was so over the top amazing, that I couldn't help but be let down a bit by the sequel. The story is still great, and I will definitely be reading the next book to see what happens next.

3 comments

  1. Bummer about the cliffhanger, but the story sounds really good. I'll definitely check out the first book!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think I understand what you mean about this one being a little bit of a let down - that just happened to me, I loved the first book but the second was just good. Maybe I was expecting much of it, but yeah, it lacked a bit of the it.

    It's a very peculiar thing.

    LOL

    Digger sounds like a great character, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate when I'm let down by the second book in a series. And I hate cliffhangers! But this one sounds like the cliffhanger helped the book because it gave you something to look forward to and dampens the disappointment a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!