"Nowhere Near Respectable" Review

"Nowhere Near Respectable"
by Mary Jo Putney
 
Publisher: Zebra
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Source: sent by publicist

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
 

Summary from goodreads.com:

Mary Jo Putney's riveting Lost Lords series unleashes a high stakes royal plot—which may prove easier for Damian Mackenzie to handle than his own unruly desire...
He's a bastard and a gambler and society's favorite reprobate. But to Lady Kiri Lawford he's a hero—braver than the smugglers he rescues her from, more honorable than any lord she's ever met, and far more attractive than any man has a right to be. How can she not fall in love. . .?
But Damian Mackenzie has secrets that leave no room in his life for courting high-born young ladies—especially not the sister of one of his oldest friends. Yet when Kiri's quick thinking reveals a deadly threat to England's crown, Damian learns that she is nowhere near as prim and respectable as he first assumed...and the lady is far more alluring than any man can resist... 

My Review:

I was looking forward to this book because I really liked the previous book in "The Lost Lords" series. Unfortunately, this one didn't have the last book's charm.

Mac was a nice hero, with a heart of gold underneath the seedy image. And there wasn't a touch of alpha-male in him, much to my relief. Kiri was also the sort of heroine that I like when you read the traits written out on paper. She was strong, unique, and independent. But there was something missing from this couple that would make me really want to root for them.

A lot of the book centered on a kidnapping plot and events kept happening to throw the hero and heroine together in less than likely situations. It seemed a little too set up as a way to get them alone together.

This book would suit someone who likes to read intricate mystery and adventure plots, with just a dash of romance. The romance and characters weren't developed enough for my tastes, even though there was really nothing objectionable about the book.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5




Bottom Line: Great if you like mystery, if you prefer romance with a loveable lead couple pick up "Never Less than a Lady" instead!

8 comments

  1. I really love her older historical Silk and Shadows. I've heard her older ones are generally better (the Silk and Shadows books and The Rake - stuff like that.) She also has a YA title I have in my TBR that's like historical time-travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I actually haven't read her older titles, I've only read "Never Less Than a Lady" but I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would read it cos of that pretty yellow dress ;) I did read a Putney last year and it was ok I guess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover but not sure the book would be my kind of read. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. It has a pretty cover. I think I would feel the same way about the romance though. I don't like it to feel contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* It lost me at kidnapping :P I don't like kidnapping plots because they make everything just a little more unbelievable.

    And I'm sorry the protagonist fell a little short :( I hate when that happens, when they sound like the type I like but we just never click. :(

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this one on sale for the nook and I thought about getting it... I usually like this kind of story lines so I'm still willing to give it a shot. I'll just keep it in mind that it isn't the best historical novel EVERRR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it so much. Doesn't seem like a book I would appreciate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!