"The Soldier" Review

"The Soldier"
by Grace Burrowes
 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: June 1, 2011
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
 

Summary from goodreads.com:

This Regency era battle of wits, wills, and the sexes features a wily duke determined to see the succession of his line secured. The duke can't force his sons to marry, but he can make their lives miserable until they do. Resisting his pressure, each gentleman holds out for true love.
The second book in the series features Devlin St. Just, the duke's oldest, but illegitimate, son. He arrives at his new estate weary in body and spirit only to find the previous owner's bastard daughter and her beautiful cousin are his responsibility and making his life almost unbearably complicated.

My Review:

Wow, I loved this book! This was one of the more heartfelt romances I've read for a long time. Some scenes are real tearjerkers, but there's still a lot of hope and glimpses of the sun peeking through the clouds.

Devlin was, when it's all said and done, the perfect tortured hero. His years at war gave him many emotional scars to heal. But he was still nothing but considerate and caring. Sure he was a little grouchy at times, but he was never less than respectful and loving to his family and loved ones. He even takes a child into his home to raise, who is a complete stranger.

There is so much love between Devlin and Emmie, you can feel the intensity flying off the page. For the most part, they were friends first, and their love developed into something deep and meaningful over the course of the book.

The secondary characters were fantastic, too. Val, Devlin's brother, was adorable and I would love to see the solitary and sensitive musician get his own story.


The first 3/4 of the book was so wonderful that I found myself disappointed in the last 100 or so pages. I just could not understand Emmie's reasoning for her behavior. When a perfect solution presents itself, why fight it for 100 pages?


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5

Setting: 5/5

Romance: 5/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Writing: 5/5




Bottom Line: I absolutely loved this book. It was a real love story with two real, and really scarred, people. I can't wait to read more from this amazing author.


11 comments

  1. I've seen this series around, sounds like I should definitely pick up the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds fantastic! Devlin sounds like a great character - tortured hero who can still be loving and caring. I am sorry to hear that the ending disappointed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good tortured hero! I enjoyed the first book in the series, but had the same thought about the last section of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it sounds great and I could use a good cry.
    :)

    Can I read it on it's own?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know Devlin..He sounds different =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about the end, but then books needs drama I told myself and rushed through the pages so I could get my HEA ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, LOVED this book, but I was getting angry with Emmie at the end too. It was a bit silly and drawn-out...however, everything else about this book was so wonderful that I am willing to forget that. Why can't Grace Burrowes write faster? I want more of her stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I'm going to have to read this one because I love, love, love tortured heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognize Devlin from The Heir. I didn't realize there was going to be a book for each brother. Thanks for the introduction. Did you read The Heir? I tried to and had to set it aside for a future date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great replies everyone!

    Does anyone happen to know Burrowes' other pen names?

    Alison, you should definitely pick it up!
    Misha, the rest of the book makes up for the end!
    Laura, how interesting that you felt the same about the heir!
    Alex, I didn't read the heir and i was fine!
    Darlyn, he is!
    Blodeuedd, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed
    Sarah, I feel the same way, so i still gave the book 5 stars even though the end was disappointing.
    Ann, thanks!
    Jena, if you love tortured heroes, you'll love devlin!
    Alexis, I haven't read the Heir yet, but I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love stories of friends who turn into something more. Great review, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!