"Holly's Inbox: Scandal In the City" Review


"Holly's Inbox: Scandal In the City"
by Holly Denham

Source: sent by Sourcebooks in exchange for honest review


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Holly doesn't have the job her parents expect her to have, she's a receptionist. Her love life is chugging along slowly with her boyfriend, Toby. She has a few office nemeses, but her friendships with Jason and Aisha keep her afloat. When she unexpectedly gets a promotion, even more backstabbing starts. And the worst thing is that Toby hasn't even noticed she has a new job!

The format of the book, being entirely told through emails, made the 525 pages fly by! I wouldn't have thought that a book with a so-called gimmick would be so emotional! I really think that instead of being gimmicky, the author used the format to cut right to the chase, no beating around the bush. You could tell how cold Toby was sometimes by his short, uninterested emails. You could feel the platonic love between Holly and her best friend, Jason. When Toby and Holly had troubled times, it was absolutely heartbreaking and so real to read her emails begging for him not to leave.

The first part of the book is mostly fun and light, then the real scandals come out and the book becomes totally unpredictable!

Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line:This is such a fun read, the interesting concept makes it unique. It's definitely women's fiction with a lot of heart.

16 comments

  1. Thanks for the review! This wasn't on my radar before, but I'll be on the lookout for it, now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try out this series. I *love* novels written in email/IM/tweets/blogs. Done well, they are really fun and convey a lot of cool stuff. If not, they are still cute enough for an easy day's read. :) Great review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun. I'm totally intrigued by the writing style. I don't usually read chick lit but this one has me considering an exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds cute and interesting! Thanks for sharing the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tiger!!

    Thanks, John!! I think you will like this one since you like the email format. It's super cute!

    Thanks, Juju!! The author really used the style to her (even though I think the author is really a man under a pen name) advantage.

    Jennie, it's super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally totally need this book :D I want to laugh at silly things

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..I have read Dear Dylan by Siobhan Curham and it's written in emails. I love that one too. This one sounds great. I probably check on this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting read, light and quick sometimes just fits the bill!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like an interesting book. Your review was great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to tag this one to my list for Future Reading. The rating averaged 4 so it's a GO for me then. Thanks for the heads up on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun and it has scandals? Sounds awesome! Nice review, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Carrie! Happy Friday again! I've had a really busy week this week, so I'll be trying to get caught up with posts this weekend!

    On a different note...I have a little award for you! Stop by some time to pick it up! AWARD PICKUP!

    Have a great weekend! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks cute! Thank ya for the review! I haven't read a good chick lit book in a long time, I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love me a fun light read sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like such a fun and fabulous read. I've heard of this book from many people already and so far everyone's been saying great things about it! Will be sure to check this one out now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've always thought this was a cute chicklit.
    btw: you've been awarded ;-D
    http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/08/bodacious-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!