"One Season of Sunshine" Review


"One Season of Sunshine"
by Julia London

Source: sent by publisher in exchange for review


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Jane Aaron left her adoptive family behind in order to find her birth mother. Jobs are scarce in her new town, so she takes a position as a nanny to two children who have run off anyone else who dared attempt the job. Jane butts heads with their father, Asher Price-mostly over the fact that he's not around much due to work. While at the Price's, Jane discovers secrets not only about her birth mother, but also about Asher's deceased wife-who may not be as perfect as she seems.

This was an enjoyable summer read. Nothing too heavy here. i'd recommend it to someone who loves a romance that involves family. It's a story we've seen before in The Sound of Music-rich dad who's wife passed away falls for his children's nanny and so do his kids.

There was a lot going on in this one. I really didn't care for the birth mother storyline. Jane had such a great, loving adoptive family, I didn't really understand why she would leave everything behind to obsessively look for her birth mother. I also felt like her old relationship was unneccessary and ended to easily.

I liked Asher's children a lot and Asher himself was an admirable character. Especially for standing by his first wife even through the worst of her mental illness.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 2/5 (Asher's daughter is a teenager and she doesn't look like the girl on the cover)
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: I enjoyed this book and probably liked it better than the historical romances I've read by this author (crazy, since I'm such a HR addict!).

14 comments

  1. I don't know, but you sure make it sound good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! It is true that the premise wasn't fresh but I liked Asher's character too. I think that the whole birth mother plotline felt like just a reason to send Jane to the area to meet Asher.

    Not sure I'd try Julia London's historical fiction. I might try Summer of Two Wishes though. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christina! I haven't read Summer of Two Wishes b/c I heard it was really sad. I just didn't want to cry, you know? I didn't like the birth mother plot, I thought it slowed down the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I've never heard of it before, but I do love your review! It sounds light...a good summer read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice light read. Great review too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of it before but it sounds like a light read so I may have to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I may have to try something by this author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like one I'll really enjoy, what with the family themes and it being a nice summer red. I'm on a tour for it, and I think it's headed my way. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That seems a really nice summer read, indeed! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!