"The Fashion File" Review

"The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men"
by Janie Bryant

Publisher: Grand Central Life & Style
Release Date: Oct 25, 2010

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:

As the costume designer for television's Mad Men, Emmy Award-winner Janie Bryant must match couture with the disparate body types and personalities of that show's distinctive female and male characters. In The Fashion File, she not only offers elegant peeks behind those dressing room doors; she describes how you can adapt your clothing choices to match your personal look and preferred style. In addition to its memorable Mad Men stories, this illustrated hardcover dispenses timely wardrobe and accessory details, tips, and advice.

My Review: 

This really is a beautiful book, perfect for fans of "Mad Men" and fashion in general. The illustrations in the book are absolutely gorgeous! I loved every single one!

I really liked the author's philosophy of embracing and loving yourself the way you are. She repeats the message throughout the book and never suggests making changes beyond style and fashion.

However, sometimes the fashion suggestions come off as slightly snobbish. I would have loved to have seen at least one footwear option other than heels!

Being tied into "Mad Men",  I did think this book would feature more vintage style than it actually did. There was only one chapter on vintage, which was my favorite. The author went through the eras from 1920's-on and chose her favorite items from each decade. I also loved the part of the book that took inspiration from classic film actresses and actors.

Bottom Line: This is a fun book, and gorgeous to look at! I would definitely recommend it to fashion lovers. They are bound to find inspiration here, without having to follow every one of her fashion mantras. I will probably take bits and pieces of her style advice, but I still love my jeans and flats!

5 comments

  1. Oh, I love the costume design in Mad Men. It is fabu.

    I didn' know there was a book by the designers. Cool. I'm not a fashion person, but I bet this would be fun to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to wear some of the clothes they used to wear before. Dresses, awww

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my jeans and flats, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the show but this book sounds like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!