"The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer" Mini Review

"The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer"
as told by Lucy Weston

Publisher: Gallery
Release Date: Jan 4, 2011

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:

Sovereign Power. Eternal Pleasure.
Revealed at last in this new vampire saga for the ages: the true, untold story of the “Virgin Queen” and her secret war against the Vampire King of England. . . .On the eve of her coronation, Elizabeth Tudor is summoned to the tomb of her mother, Anne Boleyn, to learn the truth about her bloodline—and her destiny as a Slayer. Born to battle the bloodsucking fiends who ravage the night, and sworn to defend her beloved realm against all enemies, Elizabeth soon finds herself stalked by the most dangerous and seductive vampire of all.
He is Mordred, bastard son of King Arthur, who sold his soul to destroy his father. After centuries in hiding, he has arisen determined to claim the young Elizabeth as his Queen. Luring her into his world of eternal night, Mordred tempts Elizabeth with the promise of everlasting youth and beauty, and vows to protect her from all enemies. Together, they will rule over a golden age for vampires in which humans will exist only to be fed upon. Horrified by his intentions, Elizabeth embraces her powers as a Slayer even as she realizes that the greatest danger comes from her own secret desire to yield to Mordred . . . to bare her throat in ecstasy and allow the vampire king to drink deeply of her royal blood.
As told by Lucy Weston, the vampire prey immortalized in Bram Stoker’s Dracula, this spellbinding account will capture your heart and soul—forever.

My Mini Review:

This vampire romance is written in flowery, Victorian language that really gives you a feel for the era and the gothic style of the story. This book will definitely appeal to fans of Victorian vampire stories, the original Dracula story, and mash ups in general.

For someone who loves romance as much as I do, I'm just not a fan of literally dropping things because you're so mesmerized at first sight by someone. I think this style of 'love' will really appeal to die hard Edward and Bella fans. Unfortunately, it's an all-consuming, creepy kind of love to me.

Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5
Setting: 4/5
Romance: 2/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: I might have liked this one more if I had read the original "Dracula" and could identify more with Lucy Weston. Overall, this one just wasn't my style.

9 comments

  1. Aw I'm sad to hear this one wasn't your style. I have heard good things about it from my book club group but I'm on the fence about it. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so lovely. Like something worthy breaking my vamp diet for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty good mashup so I might be tempted to give this ont a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, not a fan of creepy love, and mash-ups, I like my JA mash-ups more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cover is absolutely gorgeous! I don't mind a handsome face at first glance. I haven't read Dracula, yet either, but intend to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm about half way through this one right now and finding it's not really my cup of tea either. Besides the "drop everything for you" romance, the flowery prose is starting to grate on my nerves. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second you mentioned 'Creepy Bella & Edward thing' I was all over it! Hahah.

    I'm going to have to check this one out I think...

    I read Dracula years ago and at the time wasn't thrilled with it, it was all a bit too Gothic for me back then. Maybe I should try again.

    Just as a sidenote, Stoker's inspiration for Dracula was a ruined castle 10 mins from where I lived for 20 years growing up. It's spooky and desolate and windswept and brooding and all those things you'd expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an interesting concept, though. You have a great blog here. I've been thinking of starting a book blog with some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like an interesting premise, but your comment on "dropping things" gives me pause. I might take a look at it at the library.

    Jennifer (An Abundance of Books)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!