"Love on Assignment" Review

"Love on Assignment"
 by Cara Lynn James

Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Release Date: Jan 11, 2011

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:


While Charlotte is focusing on uncovering sordid information on columnist Daniel Wilmot, her heart leads her into uncharted territory.
During the summer of 1900 Charlotte Hale, a native Newporter and secretary for the Rhode Island Reporter, accepts an undercover assignment as temporary governess to Daniel Wilmont's children in order to secretly gather evidence against him. As he helps her rediscover God, Charlotte learns that Daniel is an honorable man.
They unexpectedly fall in love despite their different backgrounds and social positions. Charlotte soon realizes she must defend Daniel against the forces set against him-a willful student with a romantic crush and the newspaper editor determined to destroy his reputation.

My Review: 


I needed a really nice, sweet book, nothing to heavy, nothing too sad, and  "Love on Assignment" really delivered. It was a really relaxing read!

I really liked Daniel, and I wanted to know even more about him. Even thought the book was written from both Charlotte and Daniel's points of view, it was definitely skewed more towards Charlotte's inner thoughts and feelings. I find this happens quite a bit in Christian historical romance. But I think Daniel had a lot more to say than what we knew. For instance, how did he really feel about his late wife? What were some of the many trinkets he hoarded in his attic along with his feelings of guilt and anger towards his failed marriage? These are just a few of the questions that I thought were really interesting about Daniel, but I didn't feel like they were resolved.

I love reading about the Gilded Age, and it was great to see both a middle class and an upper class point of view. In books, we often see the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor. Here it was really nice to see more of the middle. Charlotte had to work hard to support her aunt and sister, but they had a comfortable home. Daniel was very well off, with servants and a mansion, but we also saw him working, and he wasn't a socialite like the characters we usually see in this era. The class differences between Daniel and Charlotte were shown but they didn't see it as an obstacle, they had bigger challenges to overcome.

Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5
Setting: 4/5
Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line:
I recommend this book if you've been doing too much heavy reading and need a relaxing break!! This book is much like falling onto a huge fluffy cushion to read and relax.

14 comments

  1. Did you read the first book, Love on a Dime? It was good but I thought this was a lot better! I'm glad you liked it too! :-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renee, I just commented on your goodreads review of this like 30 seconds ago!! This is the first one I've read in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very sweet. We all need a break from some of the heavier books sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a sweet one, Karen!! I really needed a book like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHH YAY! Thanks Carrie! Love the review! I've seen this book several times and debated over it. And believe me, after the last several books I just *may* jump into this one next. XD

    Hope you're having a great weekend!
    Redd

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome time period- and interesting that it shows some of the middle class as well. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review! and a new follower! Happy reading!^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so cute and sweet - a great break from blah books, eh? Nice review, Carrie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a book I need right now. I haven't read a good Christian historical romance since my grandma gave me some a few years back. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol
    "This book is much like falling onto a huge fluffy cushion to read and relax."
    I love that line, it tells it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound sweet! I like that it set in 1900 and she is a reporter. Sounds like a nice relaxing read for sure. Great review, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve had my eye on this one thanks to the super cute cover. I’ll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks interesting but I'm not into Christian romance. Hmm... :/ I'll have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!