Waiting on Wednesday (51)

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine, and it is a way to show off the books you can't wait to be released!!

This week I chose:

"Belladonna"
by Mary Finn
Candlewick Press
Release Date: June 14, 2011

The following description is from goodreads.com:
 
A lyrical coming-of-age story about a boy, a girl, and a horse - and how a chance encounter can lead to a life of intrigue and learning, a life beyond imagining.
When Thomas Rose first spots the girl hidden by the roadside, she looks as drab as a lark, with only her red kerchief giving her away. But French Hélène, who goes by "Ling," is no ordinary bird. Tiny Ling enchants Thomas with her wild spirit and tales of a circus where she danced atop her beloved horse, Belladonna. But the horse has been sold, and Ling must fetch her back. Now Thomas’s life as a clever but unschooled wheelwright’s son is about to change. Their search leads to painter George Stubbs, who euthanizes ailing animals in order to study their anatomy. Stubbs draws eerie horses that stride as if they could move out of the paper world into the real one - but he assures his young friends that their horse is safe at a nearby estate. As Ling and Thomas devise a risky plan to recover Belladonna, Stubbs hires Thomas as an apprentice, teaching him to read and write as well. In this fascinating story, Mary Finn incorporates a real eighteenth-century artist into a beautifully imagined tale of adventure and young romance.


 This looks so fantastic!! I haven't heard that  much about it, but I can't wait to read it. Romance, a circus, and a horse, what's not to like??

Which book are you waiting for this week?

22 comments

  1. This one is on my wishlist as well since I love the sound of the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard one thing about this book! I like your fresh pick!! The cover is gorgeous and the story sounds enchanting. This is definitely going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! I haven't heard of this one, but I'll had to add it to my wish-list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cover is gorgeous, and I just love the premise! Great pick, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover of this one and I hadn't heard of it so I'll be adding it to my list. Sounds really good, great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great choice! As a huge horse lover, this one is now on my must have list! Thanks for sharing Carrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. would have loved this one when I was in my horse phase when younger, oh I was crazy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! I like the sound of this one. Great pick. I love the horse-part of the cover. The premise vaguely reminds me of Water for Elephants, which I absolutely loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read one or two reviews, perhaps three and all seem to agree its a good story. I hope you enjoy it.

    Best wishes for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super pick! Love the cover and the synopsis sounds really interesting and adventurous!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really liking that cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard much about this one either but will keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this one either and to be honest haven't read too many books with the circus in the premise , definitely has my attention.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous cover! This sounds like a wonderful read as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How awesome does this sound? I love love love the cover! I can't wait to see what you think of this one.

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm loving that title/summary! Awesome choice, Carrie :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cover is stunning! I’m really impressed with so many books Candlewick publishes. This sounds like another winner from them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!