"Dark Passage" Review

"Dark Passage"
by M. J. Putney

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: Sep 13, 2011 
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  

The Irregulars return home to 1803 England safely, but their worldview has changed.  Not only have their heroic efforts at Dunkirk given them pride and confidence but their dangerous mission has increased their magical powers. 
Tory delights in the ever deepening bond she shares with Allarde until she discovers how powerfully he is connected to his ancient family estate—the lands he will not inherit unless he denies his magical powers and chooses a nonmagical mate. If Tory really loves him, she must walk away—but does she have the strength to leave the love of her life?
Cynthia’s heroic efforts at Dunkirk have won her the respect of the Irregulars, but her sharp tongue keeps everyone at a distance. Isolated and very alone at Lackland Abbey over the Christmas holidays, she reluctantly agrees to join Jack Rainford and his family for their celebration even though they’re commoners, far below her own noble rank. The warm welcome of the Rainfords makes her feel happier and more accepted than she has ever been. But she can’t possibly be falling in love with flirtatious Jack! Can she?
Then the Irregulars are drawn into a dangerous attempt to rescue a vitally important French scientist from Nazi-occupied France. Tory and Allarde must work together because countless lives are at stake. Disaster strikes and not only is their mission threatened, but their very lives. Can magic and their loyalty to each other help them survive to return home? 

My Review:

This book had a little bit of everything that I like. It was historical, YA, and had magic. And it had a lot of something that I love-romance! You can really tell the author was a romance writer first because she really knows how to do romance!

Tory and Allarde were a great lead couple. Allarde, especially, was so noble, but yet never seemed too good to be true. His love for Tory was above everything else for him, and he wasn't afraid to show it.

But I have to admit that I liked the gorgeously flawed Cynthia more than the too perfect Tory. Cynthia was so prickly on the outside, but the author always let us in on how she was really feeling on the inside. She was so vulnerable, and afraid of being hurt again, like she was when her family wouldn't accept her magic. Cynthia's friendship with the adorable Jack and the slow growth of their relationship was just so good!

My favorite part of the book was the Christmas holiday that Cynthia spent with Jack and his family. She finally fit in somewhere and felt accepted and loved. Plus, it's a Christmas party with lots of mistletoe, what's not to love!


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5

Setting: 5/5

Romance: 5/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: I loved this book and I especially enjoyed the two very different romances. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves historical romances with a lot of magic too.

7 comments

  1. Hmm - sounds interesting. I'm guessing this is Mary Jo Putney writing as a YA author? (Is that a silly question? How many writer Putneys can there be with those initials?) I love seeing authors branch out to new areas, so I'm totally game for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! sounds liek a book made of win! which is cool since I hadnt heard such good reviews for MJP's historical efforts! :D

    Awesome, Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you had me at Historical and Magic. I haven't heard of this one before, but I'm adding it to my wishlist now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome. I'm in desperate need of a good historical. I can't remember the last time I read one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first book in this series and didn't even know the second book came out! This one sounds even better than the first; thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why should she walk away, if he loved her too then he would walk away form his future. Well I am sure it works out...I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds really fun. I love romance and magic and historical and Christmas parties, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!