"A Heart Revealed" Review

"A Heart Revealed"
by Julie Lessman

Publisher: Revell
Release Date: Sep 1, 2011 
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  

Ten years ago, Emma Malloy fled Dublin for Boston as a battered woman, escaping the husband who scarred her beautiful face. The physical and emotional wounds have faded with time, and her life is finally full of purpose and free from the pain of her past. But when she falls for her friend Charity's handsome and charming brother, Sean O'Connor, fear and shame threaten to destroy her. Could Sean and Emma ever have a future together? Or is Emma doomed to live out the rest of her life denying the only true love she's ever known?
Filled with intense passion and longing, deception and revelation, A Heart Revealed will hold readers in its grip until the very last page.

My Review:

This book was very different from what I had anticipated. It's part of a series, and I'm not really sure that it can be read as a standalone novel. There were a lot of characters to keep straight right from the very beginning. It was a struggle to keep up with all of the different couples and become invested in all of them at the same time. I had thought the book would focus on Emma and Sean, but there was just as much time and pages devoted to the other two couples as well. I'm sure this contributes to the hefty 500 page count.

I wasn't fully able to become immersed in Emma and Sean's romance for a few reasons, including the fact that she was still married to an abusive husband who didn't even live in the same country. But another reason I couldn't embrace their love story was because of Rose. I really squirmed every time I had to read about the "hero" kissing another woman and how much he liked it. Plus this doesn't make sense based on the other views on cheating in the book.

One thing I enjoyed reading about immensely was the time period in American history. I love to read about how different things were, but mostly what has stayed the same. I loved all the 1920s/30s name dropping. Their little shop sells Brooks Brothers? Way to go! And Charity wore an Elsa Schiaparelli dress? Wow! High roller! This was by far the most fun of the book for me.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 5/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: This would probably be a welcome addition to fans of the series just because there is so much continuation of the other characters' stories. But I just couldn't get on board with the main romance in the book.


“Available September 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

5 comments

  1. Mmm.. too many character is never a win for me, plus, you're right it is weird to read how much he likes kissing some other woman.

    *sigh* the time period does sound awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this series is for me but that cover caught my attention for some weird reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first two books in the original series. I liked the first one and didn't care for the second because I found the protagonist hard to like. I remember checking out the third book but can't remember if I actually read it. I have the first book in this spin-off series but haven't read it yet. I used to like it when I'd be able to read a series about generations of a family but I don't really care for that anymore. Not sure I'll be picking this one up. Excellent review though. Have you read Anna Godbersen's new series yet? They are YA historicals and set in the 20s. I have the first book (it was free on Kindle for awhile) but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, it really bugs me when the hero kisses other girls :(

    Alexis, I like the cover b/c I like the time period :)

    Christina, I don't think I've ever read a series like that, but I know what you are talking about. The series I really like are the ones where the characters from the previous books are back but they are supporting characters. I have the first book in the Godberson series but haven't read it yet, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend read the first book in this series and she gave it a 3.5 star review for pretty much the same reason, she was confused by all the characters! I personally love all the books in the Daughters of Boston and this series (haven't read this yet though) but like my friend I wonder if it would have been more helpful if this and DoB were combined into one series instead of divided into two? Oh well I'm not in publishing or marketing so I have no idea! LOL!

    XOXO~ Renee C.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!