"A Necessary Deception" Review

"A Necessary Deception"
by Laurie Alice Eakes

Publisher: Revell
Release Date: Oct 1, 2011 
Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  

When young widow Lady Lydia Gale helps a French prisoner obtain parole, she never dreamed he would turn up in her parlor. But just as the London Season is getting under way, there he is, along with a few other questionable personages. While she should be focused on helping her headstrong younger sister prepare for her entré into London society, Lady Lydia finds herself preoccupied with the mysterious Frenchman. Is he a spy or a suitor? Can she trust him? Or is she putting her family in danger?

Readers will enjoy being drawn into this world of elegance and intrigue, balls and masquerades. Author Laurie Alice Eakes whisks readers through the drawing rooms of London amid the sound of rustling gowns on this exciting quest to let the past stay in the past and let love guide the future.

My Review:

This is a nice regency spy/double agent type of mystery. The romance and lead characters could have been developed a little more but all in all, it was a fun, relaxing read. The book was almost fluffy, nothing too heavy here, which makes for a nice, cozy read.

In my opinion, Lydia's two sisters outshone her. I was much more interested in Cassandra's and Honore's lives and romances than in Lydia's. They both seemed to have more spunk and backbone than Lydia and they weren't quite so goody-goody.

Cassandra and Honore were much more real to me than Lydia was. i couldn't wait to see what would happen next with Cassandra and Wittaker. Their relationship was so tumultuous! Perhaps they will get an entire book in the series too. Also, Honore's starry-eyed love for a forbidden gentleman was so unexpected and I didn't know what would happen next.

Christien did have some heart-stoppingly romantic moments. Who wouldn't like sweet nothings whispered in her ear in French? 

The Christian message of the story was very relaxed, which I did like. I think it would appeal to those who don't normally read the genre but who like a cozy Regency mystery.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: A cute Regency era spy mystery with fun supporting characters.

“Available October 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

6 comments

  1. Great Review!!! I love the cover! I haven't heard of this one but I will definitely have to put it on my TBR list for sure!!! I am especially a fan of spy romances! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! I so love the dresses they put on the covers of these books! Hers is beautiful!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. These are exactly the type of book that I enjoy reading so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Christian regency mystery...ok, that I have not yet read

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would like this one, it sounds lighthearted and fluffy, which I tend to like!

    Thanks for sharing this book :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a nice historical mystery now and then. It's kind of frustrating when the main character is not as interesting as his or her supporting cast. That's too bad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!