"Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal" Review

"Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal"
by Grace Burrowes

Publisher: Sourcebooks
Release Date: May 1, 2012

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  




Maggie Windham, oldest of the Windham sisters and a by-blow from His Grace’s pre-marital wild oats, finds herself in desperate needs of an investigator to help her retrieve a missing reticule. Benjamin Hazlit knows the Windham family secrets, and can be trusted to keep them to himself, so Maggie turns to Benjamin, though it means ignoring his too-broad shoulders, his too-knowing smile… and his too-skilled kisses.

As Benjamin starts the search for Maggie’s missing purse, he realizes two things: First, whatever was in that purse, its loss has Maggie not just rattled, but terrified. Second, Benjamin will go to any lengths to see Maggie’s peace of mind restored, even if it means he must keep himself in very close proximity to the shy, secretive lady who says she wants nothing to do with him.
My Review:

If you are a fan of historical romance and you haven't read any of Grace Burrowes' books yet, what are you waiting for? Her books are so romantic, so emotional, and full of a great big loving family of characters. Her fantastic characters are what makes me keep coming back for more with each new book. I love the style of series where a huge family is interconnected through many different books. Even though this is technically part of the "Duke's Daughters" series, all of the characters from all of her books are in this one. I was especially glad to see my favorite character back, Valentine Windham.

Admittedly, this particular installment wasn't my favorite of the author's books, but it was still a fantastic addition to the series. I loved revisiting the characters that I know and love. I felt like her style of writing had really picked up the pace in Valentine's book and Sophie's book, while I felt like this book had the slow, almost melancholy feel of her earlier books. Sometimes her writing feels a bit slow, but for some reason I like that about her books. I know when I start one that I will be reading it for a long time, it's not going to be over and forgotten in a flash.

Sometimes, I felt like Maggie felt slightly sorry for herself and sometimes Benjamin was a bit too alpha for me. They had great chemistry though, and it was fun to see her family trying not to meddle in pushing them together.

Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: A lovely addition to one of my favorite historical romance series.



If you think this book sounds good, you might be interested in my reviews of the other books in this series!


    
"The Virtuoso" Review (my favorite of the author's books!)

5 comments

  1. I'm eager to start this series, I have this one and the first in the series on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just worked in the end :) I can't wait to read about the next sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think that I got one of these books in my TBR pile somewhere - Virtuoso I think. I'm going to try to find it!
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review!!! I think I am going to definitely going to have to research her books more, the covers are just gorgeous and I just love the sound of this one....I might have just found a new author to explore!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These covers all look the same and this one's color scheme is very similar to The Heir by this same author. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!