"The Body Finder" Review


"The Body Finder"
by Kimberly Derting

Publisher: HarperCollins
Pub Date: March 1, 2010

Source: won from Liz Writes


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Violet can sense the dead, she calls the feeling an echo. Sometimes, it's just because her cat has hunted a bird on their lawn. But then she starts to find human bodies-girls her own age. Violet thinks only she can help to find the killer responsible for these murders. Only her family and her best friend, Jay, know about her skill. Jay agrees to help her but only because he's scared she'll get into a dangerous situation without him. Jay has always been her best friend, so why is she suddenly having all these confusing feelings about him? Does she want him to be more than her best friend?

I think I'm in love with Jay. I have to apologize to all of my other book boyfriends because they will have to scoot over and make room for Jay. I am so happy to see a healthy relationship portrayed in the paranormal young adult genre. Jay was a wonderful, caring guy who treated Violet with respect and love.

All of the information about the mystery, the killer, and the bodies merged together in a blur of words, as I couldn't wait for more Jay. Then I would hang on his every word and analyze every subtle nuance of his actions. And there was a lot to analyze. Derting got all of the subtleties of new love right on the money. The author can tell miles of feelings and story with just a few words.

I am a sucker for a friends to love storyline and this is one of the best I've ever read. The romance was so age appropriate, too. The characters and their relationship never came across as too mature for high schoolers. All of the new feelings that Violet felt were so true and real when it comes to first love, especially when realizing that maybe your best friend is something more. And I loved the way that jealousy came into play for both Violet and Jay.


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 5/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line:This is such a fantastic love story, full of the real ups and downs of high school love. The paranormal element is a great bonus to the love story in my opinion.

21 comments

  1. loved this book too! i might have disagreed a tiny bit about jay (i felt he was too perfect) but can't deny the couple is ADORABLE! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This books sounds great! Great review ! And now I've got one more book to add to the pile! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book too - one of my faves of 2010! I'm also totally in love with Jay. He's my #1 literary crush right now. I can't stop gushing! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently got to meet Kimberly when I was at the Smart Chicks Kick it tour. I got my copy personalized with a little note from Kimberly. She is a very nice lady, also very pretty. If she is ever at a signing by you I would suggest going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab review! I really need to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, and good for you getting a new book boyfriend ;) One can't have too many of those

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very cool! I got this one in my pile somewhere, :) and I've been a bit on the fence about reading it but you made it sound awesome.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so loved this one (Jay is such a sweetie - I wish I could just yank him out of the pages!)

    Awesome review! Glad you enjoyed it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do a lot of YA but this sure sounds interesting. I may have to add it to my TBR list.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can't wait to read this one! have heard so many brilliant things about it, hey.

    i loved your review - and i'm sure your other book crushes dont mind squishing up and making room for another guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review and I'm glad you liked it. I read a few months ago and thought it was great too. The whole mystery thing was way too good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant review, Carrie! I'm dying to read this one...I hear the romance is excellent, just like you said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't get into this one, but after this review, I might have to try again!

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review, Carrie. I've never heard of this author, but after reading your review I'm going to add this book my must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw! I'm glad you liked this one. I've yet to read it. And I'm quite anxious, lol. Jay seems like a nice guy...I may fall in love with him too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made this sound so good! I'm going to have to add it to the TBR mountain!!
    I have an award for you on my blog - Hott Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have wanted to read this one for so long Carrie your review has now won me over :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of my most favorite books of the year! LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this book too! I recently posted my review as well. I just started Desires of the Dead and hope it's as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!