"Crescendo" Review


"Crescendo"
by Becca Fitzpatrick

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release Date: Oct 19, 2010

Source: ARC sent by publisher


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Nora Grey and her boyfriend and guardian angel, Patch, are closer than ever until one night, Nora blurts out the dreaded "I love you." Patch immediately comes up with excuses and zooms off in his Jeep. As if that's not humiliating enough, Patch goes straight to Nora's arch-nemesis, Marcie's, house. Two can play the jealousy game though, and Nora accepts her mom's urgings to get to know family friend, Scott. However, Scott may not be as perfect as he seems, he may not even be human. Will Patch still protect Nora if they aren't a couple anymore?

I haven't read Hush Hush, but I have heard so much about Patch being a nightmare of a character. After reading Crescendo, I've realized Nora isn't really a great catch herself. After so much Patch backlash, it wouldn't surprise me if the author had tried to make him a nicer person, because I didn't have a problem with him at all in this book. Nora, however, was so reckless! She continually put herself in very dangerous situations! I couldn't stand how she toyed with Patch and treated him badly by trying to make him jealous and then smugly thinking to herself-"I can put myself in danger because Patch is required to rescue me."

Even with the heroine's questionable choices, this book was addicting! I couldn't stop reading it. Through all of Nora's dangerous adventures, I was honestly scared for her, and couldn't wait to see what happened next. The author has a great way of writing exciting and suspenseful scenes.

I liked the twisted and jealous relationship that Nora had with Marcie. It was pretty typical of high school mean girls. Nora's best friend, Vee, was probably the most stable character in the book. I really liked her and it was nice to be able to see things through her perspective when Nora got too out of control.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 4/5 (love it)
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: I think fans of the first book will love the sequel, and those who really hated patch might be happy to see he's cleaned up his act.

10 comments

  1. Carrie,

    Thanks for this review. From the sound of it, looks like Nora is up to her old ways. I found her to be completely reckless in hush, hush, too.

    Yeah, Patch has a lot of problems but what Fallen Angel doesn't?

    I can't really put my finger on this series. The cover art has been amazing, and I agree that when I read hush, hush, I couldn't put the book down, but at the same time something always seems off.

    I'm still very eager to read Crescendo, but your review had me groaning a bit because I can totally imagine what you mean about Nora and Patch.

    Great review. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review was awesome.
    Though I haven't read either book, neither Nora nor Patch ever sounded like characters I would like, so I never really jumped into the Hush, Hush wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I liked Patch fine in the first book but I got annoyed with Nora. I'm interested to see how she's changed in this book. I didn't find her very reckless in the last novel so the change is welcome for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about HUSH, HUSH but chose not to read it because I don't like the name Patch. As silly as it sounds, if I don't like the name I know I won't like the character. However, your review makes me want to give HUSH, HUSH and CRESCENDO a try. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great review! Aren't you lucky to get a copy early. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was an idiot in book 1 also, it's a wonder she didn't end up dead. But I still enjoyed it.

    I saw that you won Cinders :D I hope you'll like it, must talk about the end then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant review, Carrie! Nora killed me in Hush, Hush, too because she was the stereotypical "too dumb for her own good" character, and it's gets old, you know? I enjoyed the first story, and I'm definitely excited to read Crescendo, but thank you for your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the comments, everyone! It sounds like Nora hasn't changed from the first book!

    Missie, lol about fallen angels having problems. You're right about that!

    Animegirl, thanks so much!

    anjohnston, I'm glad you're looking forward to the book!

    Jena, that's pretty funny about the name! A 90's soap star does come to mind for me...

    Danielle, thanks! And I know I got lucky with this one :)

    Blodeuedd, I enjoyed it too. I am so excited about Cinders :)

    Melissa, Thanks so much! I know what you mean. The book is still good though, I think you'll enjoy this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo you have to read one.

    I don't dig Patch but I hear Miss Thang gets a bit of a backbone in this one. And you're right - her writing is addictive. I need to read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Juju, LOL at miss thang! I would say she has a backbone in this one. She's just so reckless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!