"I Now Pronounce You Someone Else" Review


"I Now Pronounce You Someone Else"
by Erin McCahan

Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Release Date: June 1, 2010

Source: sent by publisher and booksparkspr in exchange for review


My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Bronwen always felt so different from her mother, her stepfather, and her brother (the golden child) that she thought she might have been switched at birth. She knew this wasn't really true, but it was a fantasy that her 'real' family was out there and was more like her. In her senior year, she meets Jared, who is in college. They fall in love and before graduation, Jared asks Bronwen to marry him. Their parents are reluctant to accept the decision, and so do Bronwen's friends. When Jared pushes the wedding date even sooner, will Bronwen be able to go through with it?

This book really had a lot of emotion!! The author was able to fully explore the issues at hand, including stepfamilies and romantic relationships.

Bronwen never felt accepted by her mother. She never felt good enough, or as good as her brother. Her father passed away when she was little, which changed her relationship with her mother as well. She wanted to give her stepfather a chance, but when he didn't follow through on something very important, she stopped giving him that chance. She felt like she was even more of an outsider in her family.

With Jared, Bronwen finally feels accepted and that she is a part of something- a family. Jared's family immediately takes Bronwen in as one of their own, and she bonds with each of them. Her love for Jared is definitely enhanced by his family.

Bronwen was a strong character and she became even stronger as the story went on. I liked her stance on not having sex until marriage and that she stood by that decision. I couldn't help but wonder if this was part of why Jared wanted to get married so soon. We may never know...

Jared was a sweetheart, but not flawless by any means. His flaws added to the overall real-ness of the story. Bronwen had some very real decisions to make, about college and love, all of her decision making did not revolve around Jared only.

I was really surprised by a couple of things that happened at the end. I won't give any spoilers of course, but I didn't see these things coming at all!

Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: This is a really unique YA romance that deals with some real questions that teens face with romance and with family.

15 comments

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed it too, and felt the no sex before marriage thing was done well. It's not for everyone, but it was nice to see a character in YA that it DID work for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review! I just read a teaser about this novel today and I have to say-- it looks great! I love strong female leads and am glad to read that Bronwen holds her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this one, when I first saw the cover I thought it would be about something completely different but the more I hear, the more I like.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ususally don't read many "relationship" books, but this cover is so attractive!! Today's youth need good examples of decisions based on morality and courage. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is just the cutest, I think I'd read it cos of that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your review makes me want to read this even more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this one around, but I haven't really been sure what to make of it. Your review definitely makes me want to give it a go though! Great review, Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely review! I've seen this title around before, but have never been intrigued enough to want to read it. But I loved your review and will definitely pick this one up should I see it around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good! Nice review Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review. I especially like how you list your criteria that you look for and review them individually as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought this book was pretty predictable but still enjoyed it. Jared was such a sweetheart without being over the top perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm surprises at the plot developments ... mean it's out of the norm... good! Chalking this one down for the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!