"The Making of a Gentleman" Review


"The Making of a Gentleman"
by Shana Galen

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: Oct 5, 2010

Source: ARC sent by publisher


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Felicity Bennett is engaged to marry a gambling swindler against her will, her only way out is to pay him. So she accepts a tutoring position for the impressive Duc and Duchesse de Valere. Felicity expects to be a governess to a small boy named Armand, but she finds out that Armand is a very handsome, if untamed, grown man. Armand had been imprisoned since childhood during the French Revolution. While in prison, he lost all human contact, even losing his ability/desire to speak and touch others. Will Felicity be able to help him communicate in society and overcome his past, and can Armand help her overcome hers?

I loved this book! The romance between Felicity and Armand was magical. It seemed like they were the only two people in the world. Armand was so guileless in his feelings for Felicity, he never played Society's games, always choosing to ignore their rules. I loved that the romance was so simple because of Armand's lack of knowledge of "The Rules"-not to mention that he didn't care to even learn them. Armand was so fierce, but since he had been through so much pain, he was very vulnerable.

I liked the backdrop of the French Revolution. It's not something you read about a lot in historical romance, so it was good to read something new. And Armand being a Comte just sounded exotic and untamed just like him.

This romance was very much about a fantasy and a very pure love. The story was simple and not overcomplicated with side stories. There was a very clear and valid reason why Armand didn't speak, which made the story believable. The book reminded me a bit of a Tarzan-type of story, or even a little like "The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie."


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 5/5

Setting: 5/5

Romance: 5/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 5/5 (so classically pretty)
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: I loved this book, true love stories like this are what historical romance is all about. Shana Galen is one of my new authors to watch!

14 comments

  1. Wow, it sounds like a lovely book! Thanks so much for this review, I will definitely have to keep it in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the book cover. It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! This is how much I love your reviews, because here is where you had me sold...

    "I loved this book! The romance between Felicity and Armand was magical."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the sound of this book, Carrie. The romance sounds deeply magical and sweet. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound good and I love that he doesn't play any games. He is just himself. A book I would like to pick up

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound like a coool back drop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds very interesting and a bit unusual.
    I'm nervous about buying it because for me she's a very hit and miss author.

    :P

    But it's oh so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Svea, Thanks! I think you will like it!

    Darlyn, I love it too!

    Tanya, awww! Thank you! I really appreciate it!

    Melissa, thanks!! It definitely is :)

    Blodeuedd, I think you would like this one!

    Juju, it's different!

    AnimeGirl, I think this one is a 'hit' :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review! This sounds like one I’d really love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good, and the cover is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Christie! It's fantastic, I think you will love it too!

    Jenny, it's a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you I enjoyed the love chemistry between Armand and Felicity. Can't wait to hear about Bastien!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a very interesting information, with this insight we are getting, thanks a lot for various information
    obat dakriosistitis tradisional

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!