"Much Ado About Marriage" Review


"Much Ado About Marriage"
by Karen Hawkins

Source: sent by publisher in exchange for review


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:

Fia MacLean does not want to marry the sniveling fool that her cousin, Duncan, the Laird MacLean, wants her to wed. She only wants to go to London and find a patron for the many plays she's written. Thomas Wentworth, a wealthy, titled Englishman, was sent to get a bit of evidence from Duncan. He didn't expect to become smitten with the adventurous Fia. Thomas agrees to take Fia to London with him, not knowing who she is. But before they can leave, the Laird himself finds them in a compromising position and forces them to wed. Will their marriage last the long journey to London?

This was a really light, fun, and addictive romance! This book is actually a rewrite of the author's very first book. She re-worked the story to fit with her new series.

Fia was a great heroine, both strong and carefree at the same time. She had a mind of her own, even up against her powerful cousin, the Laird.

Thomas was very handsome, but a bit restrained for me. The author definitely explained why he held back so much but I actually thought Fia had a lot of chemistry with Thomas' best friend, Robert. Robert really stole the show with his comedic relief. He was such a charming, roguish fop, you can't help but fall for him.

I loved that Thomas was almost, but not quite, a pirate. The parts of the story that took place on his ship were my favorites.

Thomas was a little too mean for me in one part, and Fia forgave him a bit too easily, but other than that small bit, I liked this story a lot.


Main Characters: 4/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 4/5 (love the ship)

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 5/5 (very nice!)
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line: A fun romance between a feisty Scottish heroine and a reserved English gentleman.

7 comments

  1. I've never heard of this of this author but this book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like it if she is too forgiving, or does it too fast..but since I love highlanders I am sure I would get over it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant review! This sound simple and sweet, just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also never heard of this author before, but think I will have to give this one a try. It sounds like a fun historical romance read :) Love the cover too :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Restrained is such a good word. It says SO much! Happy weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle and Brenda, it's really good!!

    Blodeuedd, it's not tooo bad, I just don't like that much fighting...

    Thanks so much, Melissa!! Yep, that's pretty much how it is :)

    bookfairyheaven, thanks!! I looove the cover too!!

    Juju, have you read it and agree with restrained? or you just know similar book heroes who are restrained??

    Happy weekend, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!